Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine light is on constantly whats wrong!??

my 90 subaru legecy wgn is having a crisis its engine light is constantly on all the time the car is in operation,please bare in mind the converters have been replaced and it was running rough but it smoothed out and now the light has come on !! could this be something simple for me to check before i go to the dealer and have it diagnosed for a fee!??? the car has over 240,000 miles with a 2.2 liter fuel injecter moter with auto and air and its not the turbo! much feedback and help would greatly be appreciated!

thanks

another subaru lover

There are probably over 100 individual codes that could be wrong, however, i do believe there is a way for you to check for codes yourself, however i don't recall how.

Seeing as the cats were replaced recently, i'd make sure that your o2 sensor is plugged in, as that could very easily been left unplugged.

There are probably over 100 individual codes that could be wrong, however, i do believe there is a way for you to check for codes yourself, however i don't recall how.

Seeing as the cats were replaced recently, i'd make sure that your o2 sensor is plugged in, as that could very easily been left unplugged.

where abouts is the o2 senser on this type of moter be located at! and is it easy to get to at a home mechanics own hands!?

Go to autozone and they'll read the codes for you, usually for free. That will give you an idea as to what is going wrong.

that is only for OBD generation vehicles. not sure what years this is applicable to, but his 1990 legacy won't have OBD plugs so they can't help him out.

normally this is an excellent method for diagnosing the Check Engine light.

i'm not familar with 90's legacies but if it has the LED read out of the codes, follow those directions posted and you'll be golden. easy to do and you can do it yourself if you can count blinking lights.

that is only for OBD generation vehicles. not sure what years this is applicable to, but his 1990 legacy won't have OBD plugs so they can't help him out.

normally this is an excellent method for diagnosing the Check Engine light.

i'm not familar with 90's legacies but if it has the LED read out of the codes, follow those directions posted and you'll be golden. easy to do and you can do it yourself if you can count blinking lights.

is there a diagnostic reader that i can purchase for less then it would cost to have a diagnostic done by a mechanic! and where would i find a place to buy one for my car!? someplace like autozone or schucksor!???

thanks

dave cornwell/subarulover1

what engine do you have an EJ?
okay it is a 2.2 liter, i looked it up. i'd read the steps in the links posted above, they should help you figure out the codes yourself. most likely you don't need a scan tool. i just read through those links, that is what you're looking for. no scan tool needed.

okay it is a 2.2 liter, i looked it up. i'd read the steps in the links posted above, they should help you figure out the codes yourself. most likely you don't need a scan tool. i just read through those links, that is what you're looking for. no scan tool needed.

thanks for the information to all who helped me out i found out that the o2 cencer wire and sencer are bad and i also have a bad sparkplug thread problem in side the left front plug of the head it had been losend some how and tomorrow ill be checking the plug and the censer myself! again thansk to all who helped me with this problem i will soon have it fixed and be on my merry way again subaru and all!

dave cornwell/subarulover1:clap:

A 90 Legacy is an ODB vehicle and you don't need a scan tool. There is one available though. All you need to do is connect the black plugs, turn the ignition to on, and the CEL will flash the codes.

There are two sets of plugs and a port for a Subaru Select monitor. The black plugs are for simply pulling codes. The green plugs are for active diagnostics.

You could also make one of these:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=16219

Also, how hard is it to use some punctuation and check your spelling? This isn't pre-teen chat.