Ultimate Subaru Message Board

axel clearance

Subaru in the Rainfroest

So you have a stock 85 + wagon? Or what? (just guessing as that is the most popular model on here)

You can get some bigger tires. You will need 14 or 15" rims as well, try looking for pug rims (some Peugeot wheels have the same 140x4 bolt pattern)

You should be able to fit 25" tires under there in stock form/no lift kit.

Stock sized tires are 22.5 to 23 inch. So 25" will give you 1" of extra clearence on everything (not just the body, or just the axles, but everything)

With some hammering and a haxsors (to trim the fenders) you can fit 26"s in maybe even 27"s on a stock wagon. But that would need lots of hammering! That fender wall is to close. Just remember, that the more you hammer that, the more it gets in the way of your pedels!.

Just my 2 cents, have fun.

i am trying to get more clearance for my axels on my 88 GL 5spd D/R. ea82 motor. any simple ideas? i have read a lot on how do lifts. and i want to do someday but don;t have the money for it right now. so i am looking for a different way to go about getting more axel clearance.

A lift is about 350 bucks. If you don't have that money, then you don't have the money for bigger tires and wheels, so you don't need to worry about how to cut your fenders, and you're just wasting time and cyberspace.

Please feel free to read the FAQ at the top of the page, it will give you answers to a couple of your questions. A little common sense will tell you how to get more "clearance under your axles" as well.