Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fule pump longevity (mtbf)....

(mtbf == mean time between failure)

I was curious to know how long your stock subaru fule pumps run...

I had a 87 that went 17 years and currently a 13 year run on my present subaru, but it is spfi, or other factors, giving same symptoms as my old carbeurated in its 17th year(going to break soon).

How long has your oem subaru fuel pump been runnin?

what are signs og failurefor a fuel pump? i have a ea82 in a 88 GL

well for the average car guy you may hear the pump running unevenly.

for those of us that are auto tecs you can do a current ramp test to check the amp draw and view the signal. with this test you can pick out a bad spot on the pump motor.

you can also check pressure and flow as well.

it gets real obvious when the pump just quits.

well for the average car guy you may hear the pump running unevenly.

for those of us that are auto tecs you can do a current ramp test to check the amp draw and view the signal. with this test you can pick out a bad spot on the pump motor.

you can also check pressure and flow as well.

it gets real obvious when the pump just quits.

lol yeah i figur that. it just with everything off (heather,radio, ect..) the fuel sounds really loud in my car. can hear it in the driver seat.

it's not that uncommon to hear the fuel pump. either that, or all mine are louder than normal!

i've never had to replace a fuel pump except when i first bought a subaru...seems letting them sit rusts the fuel pump to the point of leakage.

otherwise i had 198,000 and 196,000 on 2 XT6's with the original pump (same pump as EA82 subaru's). my most recent daily driver is around 220,000 with i believe the original fuel pump. i did remove it once to test it or swap it into a non-running vehicle temporarily, but pretty sure i reinstalled the same one. never had one fail on a daily driver over the past 15 years of owning subaru's.

The signs I got were hesitation nearing max torque rpm (2700 or so), and symptoms of an air leak, like bad fuel line or intake leak and erratic fuel consumption for same chores. The noise changing to quite loud when it is normally a different sound, and back to quiet again (not due to really cold and warming up). After going over everything to verify things are tight, filters good. My next step would be fuel pump quitting entirely. Why nearing the max torque rpm uses more fuel than an even higher rpm is my subaru mystery... I am there again on my 93....:-\

19 years is incredible and several hunkred k miles, must have great gas going thru :) . I get ice and chenistry bizarre where I am at (even found a green slime appearing to grow with the fuel!)

hey , while i'm at a fuel question, what is the fuel pressure for spfi, and does pump need to be 2 stages like the injector (12 and 24?) I am waiting on my subaru book that I ordered and don't have the answers... I did get one crossed over by comparing pressures (imagine an auto parts clerk taking the time to do that?!) and the results were miraculous with a larger aftermarket pump (correct pressure).

What is your favorite after subaru brand of fuel pump for spfi?

I agree about mpfi and spfi, but dont put those on a carbed (oops! had to prime a carbed model to get running, then ran fine: overpressure). I searched and found not pertaining to stock numbers. Hopefully the local parts store will humor my request and have correct cross application. The OEM subaru pump is a real pansy below 0 F. I want larger pump doing same job as OEM. On my last failed subaru pump, I took a punch awl and gently by hand poked a hole completely through the casing(it was 17 yrs old), so needless to say, I dont want a subaru pump replacing it, especially in the area it sits. I will post the common cheap replacement I find here(I had a perfect cross-match already for 30 bucks, just a matter of finding it, it took 2 trips to the parts store to find there are unique falsities as well as matches).:cool: