Ultimate Subaru Message Board

metal grated bridge and awd????

I was driving my 06 outback, 5speed today and rolled over one of those metal bridges, that you can see through, i call them grated, like a big metal grate. Anyway the car felt super funny on that thing. shakey, kind of like the bottom half was going to the right and the top have was trying to get left, or vice versa. Very unstable and weavey.... if that makes any sense, like a parallelagram....sorry hard to explain.

just felt like if someone was behind me they be able to see the car weaving all over the place.

Anyone ever experience this...? is it broken?

seems to drive perfectly on the road, tracks remarkably striaght on a straight flat road.??

Help!!! Please!! thanks all!

Seems to be par for the course on those bridges. Some aren't bad at all, some are nearly impossible to keep the car in a straight line. Had the exact same effects you described on those bridges in plenty of 2WD vehicles. Don't worry about your AWD, instead worry about keeping the car in a straight line. :lol:

yeah no doubt, i did a few passes, various speeds, with clutch in , with it out, etc etc. Always felt off. Thing is i never remember my jeep doing it, but then again that thing was always everywhere on the road. Just want to be certain my lil sub not busted or issued up. I tried to watch other vehicles going over it but was too tough to tell....

Want to have fun, do it on a motorcycle in traffic moving about 20mph, i always thought of the bridge as a giant cheese grater for humans.

It is really more dependent on tirw pattern then the vehical. It doesnt mean there is anything wrong with the car. Also some bridge decks do it more then others.

nipper

Yeah, it's just a combination of the particular grating and the tires. If the tread pattern block size is close to the grating opening size, you can get some weird effects.

I occasionally go across one of these bridges with my 97 OB. The grating is not perfectly aligned with vehicle travel, and it (the angle of the grating) varies about 3 times in the span of the bridge. My car always 'squims' as it crosses.

Commuter

I have to agree with the other posts. It's just the bridge and the tires.

I just stay to the far right on such a bridge. Better to hit the guard rail than be head-onded (if that's a word) by a... motorcycle?

Juan

I drive over one everyday to and from work. My 95 with 15" 185 series Hakkapalitta snow tires and my 05 with 17" 205 RE92s both act the same way. With my bridge it sits in the middle of a curve in the road. It's fun! As I'm turining in and starting to hit the bridge I actually aim so that I would just clip the edge of the bridge as it ends, but since it's open grate the car misses by about 8"