Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 2.5rs exhaust into 96 2.2L

seanski06

has anyone ever used an exhaust from a newer impreza into an older one....im not trying to gain horsepower or any of that...my exhaust just sucks and i found the whole system from cats back only problem is its from a 2.5 99 rs

im not sure if it would mess with my o2 sensors or cause any other kinds of problems.....

the '96 impreza 2.2L only has one cat. and it shows a different p/n than the cats for any of the '99 impreza models. they had two.

the cat section may be exactly the same, but with two in the later imprezas, but I doubt it. I think that you would find that it wouldn't work. But I could be wrong. You should measure the width of the end of the cat section, and how long it is. then see about the 2.5RS for the same things.

I would just suggest getting a muffler shop to weld up a new catback section if you're not looking to just replace it all. it wouldn't run you that much. anywhere from $100-$200 depending on where you would go.

there must be something seriously odd about my car...b/c it definately has two cats and a resonator but i took it to get the cel read and its not obdII

(96 impreza L 2.2)

if u dont think it'll work than im not chancing anything..i just keep looking for my model exhaust

no way, your car has two cats? that's kinda weird. I searched a parts manual online and it said only one cat between all the versions of '96 imprezas.

maybe yours is a late model '96 with some incorporated '97 idea. not uncommon to see slightly small changes in late MY production. because the '97 does show both cats. but, unfortunately, neither of them are the same cats that a '99 2.5RS would use, which does leave me to believe that although it may line up exactly, the end of the cat section on yours is a different internal diameter than the 2.5RS exhaust. I could be wrong though.

but check it out. you should measure up both if you get a chance.

also, why is it that you are not wanting to replace the whole system? it would be much easier to match parts.

well he has the whole system from his for really cheap..im just lookin for something that'll work and i thought maybe his would work the same if not better...for me to go out and buy a new cat its way more than his whole exhaust

im gonna hold out tho...i just hate driving around sounding like an a**hole with my exhaust cracked open

if he's willing to give you his header and cat section (you did say the whole system) then you could swap it on. From what I understand, '97+ is single port exhaust on the EJ22, and if you've got two cats like a 97 would have, maybe you have an early model '97 branded a '96. Hey, weird things do happen.

yea thats true...i'd probably have to check it out on my car to see about the single port...however i must get my car inspected at the end of april..if his cats would throw me a cel isnt there a way where u can kinda ground out the o2 sensor so it thinks its working?