Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Life and Death wheel berring

My 2wd Loyale involuntarily and quickly, gained a wiggle then 4 wheel steering (not fun) and after quick checks knew it was a rear berring. Even after taking it apart, put new berrings, it took me 20minutes of comparing new and old and finally figuring out how the new berring fixed it (the bad berring stayed silent and spinning freely until i fixed it):

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/2072/badberring4gi.jpg

The distance between arrows left about 2mm before pin could slide right out. Lucky for me there was a new inside berring on passenger side. If not... The spell this car went thru yesterday would have hurled me right into that house living room I spotted when rear end first broke free (I maintained control and came to a peaceful stop from 55mph). :eek:

A geek fact!

The berring that failed according to my math

spun 131,032,000 times

before it really needed to be changed.... 13 years and 148,900 miles. All that stress and time and Maine weather on a berring a bit bigger than a half dollar....

(148900*5280)/((23*3.14)/12) == 131,032,000 (close estimate)

Ok. I'm satisfied, I will never talk about my bad berring again:)

Speaking of bad bearing... I can't get a bolt out of the front end to get the whole whatever it is assembly out to put new bearings in it... it's a bolt located just above where the lower tie rod end connects to the assembly. I thought it was 12 mm... seemed to fit just fine, but then I started turning it and it just felt like i was constantly turning the bolt... but it never broke loose. Now I got one wasted nut, and one that I can't quite figure out? It seems to just keep turning... maybe I'm going crazy? maybe I need sleep??? I dunno what the hell is going on.... haha. should I cut it off? whatever the answer is, I'm sure you guys will point me in the right direction. Thanks times a million.

-Jordo smordo

Maybe change the whole thing out from another subaru? Maybe put bigger 5 lug possibilities from a legacy :)

To eat the front is a disturbing thought, I am sure they are changed all the time, but if it happens to me, I am changing everything even if needing a mod or junk yard swap. That is an area designed to be quite dynamical, to kill front berrings in my opinion, i would doubt the whole casing containing them.

A cheap possibility for berring failure is bad "tire rating" (when you knew all hardware was good-and suddenly failure). I just checked mine today and found "86" as weight rating on my less than a year old 70 series tires. The highway is going to be my tragedy if i dont change them.. Don't I love it when mechanics underestimate my little subaru (they should have a 1320 lb - or "90" rating). There are little 5.0 v8 Ford mustangs with weaker unibodies getting v rated 160mph tires because it "looks" like it needs it. Oh well... I found a more realistic set of "90S" right on the internet delivered for 100 bucks cheaper, and giving me the 24 inch diameter the highway tends to leave alone on long trips for next time.

If you get the berrings in, check the many possibilities for failure...

bad grease

tires (speed and weight rating)

alignment (many things can cause bad alignment)

struts, springs, steering rack, trans axles and drive shaft, even motor and tranny mounts and all bushings.

Once front berrings goes bad, there is the wound and memory of it forever embedded in that tough casing (it feels like it "fakes" the failure even after fixed). Good Luck, It may work out for you. I am not that lucky.:burnout:

I thought about it twice every time I spelled it... never bothered checking. Berring rhymes with herring, it is my maine "retahdation" :lol:

Hey, was that a legacy 5 lug swap to loyale type or XT 5 lug to loyale?

I cant find stuff here in searches, even though I am certain I read it.