Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Choices

I picked up a project 86 wagon a couple of months ago. The body is really nice, and the motor is seized. So I found a 94 Legacy with 164,000 for $450 that was going to be an engine donor, but once I started working on it, it turned out to be too nice to part out (LS, AWD, all the goodies).

So Thursday I bought a 90 Legacy with 165,000 miles for $250. The trans sounds like a garbage disposal with a couple of forks in it, but it got to my house under its own power. I suppose I could fix it, but it's only 2wd and I have this other idea.....

I already have a FT 4wd dual range trans with the locking center diff and a LSD rear, and I have a rusty 86 turbo wagon that has the rear brakes, nice interior, axles, and other parts to donate. So it's going to take out two other subarus to build my project car, but it will end up being:

4wd wagon, lifted 2", 6 lugs with 29" tires, EJ22, d/r FT 4WD, rear LSD, 4-wheel disk brakes, additional soundproofing and the GL-10 seats and interior. I'm thinking it will be worth it.

Just to add a twist, I had someone approach me today and offer me a 94 SVX with a bad tranny for $500. My wife asked me if I'd rather have that, but I think I'd still prefer my project car.

Any EJ series... the SVX has the EG33 - 3.3L H6 producing 230 HP. Straight bolt up to any EJ series AWD 5 speed....

You use the legacy pedal assembly, clutch, and stuff - modify the shifter console with a boot instead of the auto plate. It's not terribly hard really. There's a shop in WA that will do the whole conversion for $4,000 including all the parts. If you buy the parts, should come in well under $500.

GD

Yeah, I guess the SVX project could be worth some money, but I'm also remodeling my house, and time is limited. I guess the real question is how guilty I should feel about sending two lesser subarus to the scrap heap in order to build my project.

I guess the real question is how guilty I should feel about sending two lesser subarus to the scrap heap in order to build my project.

Hmm, just stick some Honda badges on them and it'll all be ok. Nothing will beat your dream project, getting exactly what you want is the best.

KELTIK