Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bicycle roof rack needed for my 03' Legacy

Greetings!

I'm new here to this message board.

I'm in need of a roof rack that will carry at least 2 bikes.

On the roof right now are the bars running the long ways and the bars running accross. They appear to be stock, but I'm not sure.

What do I need and where is a good source?

Thank you!!!

Welcome! I seem to recall some threads about roof racks and bike carriers here a few months ago. Use the search function (top of the page) and you'll probably find some good background information to get you going.

Good luck!

no, you can just get a kit to attach a bike carrier to the racks.

Lots of them are out there, what you choose depends on budget, the bike, and whether or not you want to take off the front wheels. I have a thule V2, which I like, and it was $125. It can also carry a bike with disc brakes, some others don't.

v24br.jpg

We have the same roofs and the same stock racks. Budget? Go with my idea. Have some extra cash? You want the 450 Crossroad foot pack and 50" bars (probably sturdier than my way, but my way works great!). Visit www.thule.com for prices and a dealer near you.

My way:

-Thule Ride-On Adaptor (comes with 30" bars good for 2 bikes...I switched them out for 50" bars so I could fit my ski rack)

-Velo Vise V2 (disc brake) or the Velo Vise (non-disc) rack.

Here are a few pictures of my setup...if you have any questions, ask me!

Here we see the "Ride-On" adaptor and how I clamped it to the stock rack. The rubber under the clamp is just a bike tube I cut up to get a better, non-slip fit. The ride-on kit comes with pads, but I lost mine.

IMG_2827.JPG

Side shot:

IMG_2825.JPG

Front shot:

IMG_2826.JPG

We've got the Subaru branded bike rack. Parts guy said it was made by Yakima. Nice rack, hold the bikes nice and tight...

We researched the other racks and found that the factory rack was the best price. We prevously had a Saris for 1 of our other cars, way too much $$ when it was all said an done.

I think we paid $300 or so from the local dealer.