Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to replace the front struts on my 97 OBS. I am trying to find a manual for this vehicle in order to do the job but they are not in abundace. Is there anyplace for me to get the technical info (proper steps) if I run across issues? I have the general knowledge just never done this vehicle.

I believe there are a few threads that show pics and have instructions. You may want to search.

It's pretty straight forward. To be honest, I'd highly recommend you replace all four struts at once. I've been down the road you're going, and you end up with issues in having mixed-matched struts with different damping rates.

Good tip is to use a hacksaw blade to carefully cut the braket that holds the brake flex line. If you cut it, you can fold it back and get the line out without removing any of the fittings. Saves the trouble of bleeding brakes and braking rusty line fittings. Cut the new struts brackets in the same way.

I'd do all of the struts also, in my 97 OBS the rears went out before the front.. but i also was beating on that thing pretty hard...

if you want instructions check this out: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50268

that's the thing i wrote about lifting my OBS, but it's the same thing with different struts... actually.. if you need struts i have a set that only has about 10-20k miles on them... KYB GR2's...

but whatever, let me know if you need em, it's a really easy swap, it just takes time.

I'd really suggest soaking ALL of the nuts/bolts in PB blaster for a few days (hit it a few times a day) before you do the swap, it make the bolts come out easier, and saves you from laying on the ground with your feet in the fender well reaming on your breaker bar :rolleyes:

Good tip is to use a hacksaw blade to carefully cut the braket that holds the brake flex line. If you cut it, you can fold it back and get the line out without removing any of the fittings. Saves the trouble of bleeding brakes and braking rusty line fittings. Cut the new struts brackets in the same way.

Amen to this...I use a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Saves a lot of hassle and potential *&^%$# asociated with busted bleeder screws.

Well did the job yesterday. Went very smooth without any issues. I used a hack saw for the hose bracket, just bent it away slid the hose in, bent it back and put the retaining clip on and looks as if it was never cut. The longest delay was takeing measurements of the position of the bolts in reference to the strut and then transfering them to the new. Hopefully this will give me some time till i can get alignment.

The only issue I have is that I was not sure where to place the sping in the new strut. I know where the end of the spring is placed but you are also able to move it horizontially (side to side) while the tip is still positioned correctly. It dose not sit in there snug against both sides. I centered it.

Other than that no problems. Sure is nice not haveing the wheel bouncing in my hand as I hit every crack in the road.

The only issue I have is that I was not sure where to place the sping in the new strut. I know where the end of the spring is placed but you are also able to move it horizontially (side to side) while the tip is still positioned correctly. It dose not sit in there snug against both sides. I centered it.

Souds weird to me. I did all four struts on my car and I dont remember the springs being able to move sideways. Could it be that the springs and struts you used were not made for each other?

That said, I hope everything comes out well for you.