Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87' GL-10 wagon-vacuum line location?

Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I posted on here - since I took my 86 wagon off the road due to rust. I finally found an 87 wagon to swap my totally rebuilt motor into, and I've got the engine in with the intake manifold off the old engine on the rebuilt motor.

I've got everything accounted for except for a vacuum line that runs from behind the driver strut tower, along the firewall with the air supension lines, under the white plastic vacuum thingy, and then seems to go under the boost solenoids - but there's nothing in the vicinity to plug it into.

I also have a bracket that seems like it goes in the same area - but I can't figure where it mounts, or figure out what's missing.

Does anyone have detailed pictures of that area? 87+ (Infront of the passenger strut tower inside engine bay) MAF MPFI EA82T.

I bought the car for $150, engine completely apart and parts in the trunk. Owner was tired of dumping money into it, and the cracked heads were the last straw. So I don't really know if I'm missing anything or if the hose is OK to just plug.

Thanks!

Rabin

I am guessing you have a 5mt either P/T or FT with locking center diff.

That vacuum line feeds from the little canister to facilitate either the 4wd or center diff lock (depending on which tranny you have)

The canister itself should be plugged into a vacuum source, with a check valve in plae to stop it from seeing boost.

Oh yeah.. this canister also controls the vacuum for the heater controls

The stray bracket may be 4wd/difflock actuators. Will need more info to be sure.

I am guessing you have a 5mt either P/T or FT with locking center diff.

That vacuum line feeds from the little canister to facilitate either the 4wd or center diff lock (depending on which tranny you have)

The canister itself should be plugged into a vacuum source, with a check valve in plae to stop it from seeing boost.

Oh yeah.. this canister also controls the vacuum for the heater controls.

A slight hijack if I may.

Calebz - how do the solenoids hook to the vacuum canister? My canister has two connections - one going in (from inlet) and one going out (to vent controls im guessing). Do you use a t-piece on the "outbound" hose from the canister? I was under the impression that the solenoids took vacuum direct from the inlet manifold - but thats obviously not the case.

Hi Calebz,

The car is a 3-sp auto. I wish it was a 5mt, but sadly I'll have to make do with the 3-sp with some Pug 14" alloys to get the revs down on the highway.

I'm hoping to see if I can find close up pictures of that area with the boost switches/solenoids, but if I can get my hands on a digital camera I'll take detailed pics and get some feedback that way...

Actually - me providing pics is likely the best way to go about it so I'll do that after work.

Rabin

A slight hijack if I may.

Calebz - how do the solenoids hook to the vacuum canister? My canister has two connections - one going in (from inlet) and one going out (to vent controls im guessing). Do you use a t-piece on the "outbound" hose from the canister? I was under the impression that the solenoids took vacuum direct from the inlet manifold - but thats obviously not the case.

I'll get some pics up of how they go together.

Bean.. get your pics up and I'll compare to what I have.. there may be some differences between auto and manual. But I have the best of both worlds. FT4wd 5 speed in what used to be a 3AT car:).

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=80

I uploaded some pictures of some of my current issues. The large vacuum line with no home, and in the second picture it's the one with the hose splice going through the rubber fitting on top of the driver fender. The plate that looks like it should mount somewhere, and the electrical plugs (a white one and a black one).

I also took a pic of the PCV system. I isolated it from the intake and ran it into a K&N PCV filter. I'm hoping it runs OK like this as I want to keep the intake nice / and or see if the turbo is starting to leak oil into the intake.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the diagrams - now if I could figure out how to read them to see which line is the one in the pictures I put in the gallery.

I did get the car started and it seems to run fine so far - just need to do some quick maintenace stuff on the rest of it before taking it on a test drive...

Rabin