Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air suspension swap out- Can I pretend my 91 is a 92?

When I bought my 91 Legacy wagon LS AWD last year, it had a leaky front air strut. I went with the cheapest (and quickest) route and replaced it with a used one from the junkyard. Now I have a slow leak in one of the rears and figure it's a good time to swap out the whole air suspension.

I've been looking at KYB G2's at the Tire Rack site and notice the 91 fronts are $69 each and the rears are $128 each. If I check the 92's the fronts are $74 and the rears are $69.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Doing some searching on the site showed the 90-91 have tapered rear springs and thus use different struts and strut mounts.

My question is....

Since I am replacing the strut, the spring and the mount anyway, can I just order 1992-94 parts? It should be fine for the front but I can't find anything about potentional problems for the rear.:confused:

Also, any suggestion on springs? I don't mind lowering it an inch but no lower.

Thanks

when i converted my 92 legacy from air to standard struts i ordered the struts complete...they came assembled with springs on them, mounts and bushings....of course for all 4 it was pricey i think around $750.

when i bought my car two of my struts had been replace with new(one front one rear) mine held air but i had a control problem, i still have them if you want to stay with air

when i converted my 92 legacy from air to standard struts i ordered the struts complete...they came assembled with springs on them, mounts and bushings....of course for all 4 it was pricey i think around $750.

when i bought my car two of my struts had been replace with new(one front one rear) mine held air but i had a control problem, i still have them if you want to stay with air

Thanks for the offer but I'm looking forward to the feel of all new parts :burnout: and not having to worry about other parts of the air system going. :(

Where did you get you complete assemblies from? By the time I add up springs, struts and mounts x 4, it will be close to that price anyhow.

Hey there, I believe you were the one to first coach me on swapping out the air suspension a 1 and a half ago. Now it's my turn.;)

I swapped mine out with parts from a 1990, springs, strut mounts, perches. I had the two used rear struts replaced with new ones for the 1992. The front struts were from a late 90s impreza.

Basically, while the top mounts are different from 90-91 to 92-94, the only difference with the struts were the position of the lower spring perches - in other words, you most certainly can use the 92 struts with pre-92 pieces. It may adjust the ride height slightly, but that's it.

But, I had ongoing problem with my suspension thereafter, but suspect the inner tie-rods/rack were going. I think though using the 1990 springs/mounts MAY have altered the overall suspension geometry though, and made for less than ideal handling.

Long story short - you should have no problem using 92 parts, provided you use 92 top mounts in addition to springs and struts.

Good luck!

Chef

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/SUBARU%20CONV.htm

this is where i got my conversion parts, and yes...it sure drove nice with all new parts

I wonder what parts they use in their conversion. I couldn't find much detail on the web site.

Right now I'm leaning towards some KYB G2 struts from here... http://www.tirerack.com/

and some WhiteLine springs from here.....

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/subaru_corner.html

Tire Rack also has strut mounts listed for the front (I don't see the rears on their site, might have to go OEM).

If I have any money left over, I'll pick up an 18mm rear sway bar from PDM as well. All together it should raise my handling from perfectly pleasant:) to seriously fun :D :D :D .

The final step will be taking the air suspension parts over to the local Subaru wrecking yard and seeing how much credit they will give me for them towards a set of Legacy GT or WRX 16 inch rims.

I've been thinking about doing this for a year but my budget is too tight these days to replace anything that is working fine. I guess that annoying little air leak is a good thing.:)