Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well, baccaruda and i did the best with what we know how....(our brains and some beer):grin: .since number 1 was the problem area on the compression test we decided to work backwards and get readings from 4 down to 1.4,3,and 2 were pretty consistent as far as comparisons go.but on the #1 there was very little resistance and air was escaping through the # 3 spark plug hole.it did not escape through the #1 hole when we did #3.no leakage worth mentioning anywhere else....oil filler,coolant passages etc.....we are thinking head gasket......whatcha got?

as close as we could get it.i also thought burnt valve actually, due to the odd sound it was making as it was releasing the air.it was sputtering,as opposed to freeflow.......weird.mind you,we do not pretend to know what we are doing.the engine is out of the car,and we lined everything up as good as possible.regardless of this....i think i need to pull the head.burnt valve or not.something is up.anything else?

does this EJ22 have solid or hydraulic lifters? i think early models had one, later had the other?

it could be as simple as valve train related? if the motors been sitting and you have hydraulic valve lash adjusters, they could be to blame and that may be an easy fix. sometimes just pumping them up.....cranking the oil pump, cranking the motor over will pump them up. sitting on the ground that does not do you any good. i know on the HLA motors i've pulled and reinstalled the HLA's are very noisey from sitting and/or being disassembled when you first start them up. i've never tested compression but i'd imagine during the "noisey" stage the compression would be off. takes a minute or two of running to get them all primed and working right again.

last one i did just a couple weeks ago i slapped a high speed air ratchet on my oil pump socket and ran the oil pump by itself (timing belts off) for a few minutes to cycle oil through the engine. put the timing belts on and turned the motor over by hand a few times. cranked the motor a few times with the starter before finally hooking everything up to start the car. first time it started, no HLA noise.

i'm not nearly as familiar with the solid lifter set up and what issues are possible there.

i have a 2.2 i'd like to do a leak down test on. how did you do it? Just used an adapter for hooking your air compressor to the spark plug hole? leak was obvious or hard to tell?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=A1C&mfrpartnumber=31857&parttype=218&ptset=A

we built this one.we did not use his little "missing" picture that is supposed to go on the guage.

it is fairly obvious where the noises are coming from if you can pay attention.....ie. have help to turn crank and you watch the guages and listen.we kinda were flying by the seat of our pants ,but i think we nailed it.i will be checking the headgasket on that side in the next week or so.

this motor runs very well actually.i drove the piss out of it several times.granted these were short jaunts around the neighborhood,but i romped it to see if i could break it after the compression test.i thought it was a stuck valve when it was in the car.we seafoamed it and it did not

"free"itself i thought.but now, i am leaning more and more towards the gasket,especially with the spark plug hole next to number one getting air.regardless....it is a head problem.not deeper.

My money's on a burnt valve. You'll find out anyway if you intend to pull the head, but you might want to hook up your compressor and go check the tailpipe for the sound of wind. That's what confirmed the burnt and cracked exhaust valve on my '97 OBW.