Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey fellas,

I'm looking to buy a new car this summer and one of the cars im considering is the Subaru Legacy Gt sedan. I'm looking for a mid sized sedan that is reliable, discreet (not too flashy), but still sporty and fun to drive. I've read some mixed reviews regarding the legacy so I thought I'd ask you guys what you think of that car. The negative things ive read about the legacy are that it gets poor gas mileage, is expensive compared to other cars in its class, and that it has poor acceleration and turbo lag. I'll definitely be buying a used car, I'm thinking of an 04 or 05. Any advice you could give me would be appreciated. Also if you know of any informational websites that would also be good!

Thanks guys!!!!

See comments after ... elipses. :D

Hey fellas, ... AND ladies.

I'm looking to buy a new car this summer and one of the cars im considering is the Subaru Legacy Gt sedan. ... Good choice.

I'm looking for a mid sized sedan that is reliable, discreet (not too flashy), but still sporty and fun to drive. ... All of those, especially the latter.

I've read some mixed reviews regarding the legacy so I thought I'd ask you guys what you think of that car. We think's a great car.

The negative things ive read about the legacy are that it gets poor gas mileage, ... compared to what other AWD sport sedan?

is expensive compared to other cars in its class, ... around here we would say no other car ISA in it's class.

and that it has poor acceleration and turbo lag. ... it's all relative. Drive one and compare to others in it's 'class', then make that subjective decision for yourself.

I'll definitely be buying a used car, I'm thinking of an 04 or 05. ... if you're looking at an '04 or '05 you may want to check out new. Especially if you can find stale stock. The difference in interest may tip the scales to new.

Any advice you could give me would be appreciated. ... you're welcome.

Also if you know of any informational websites that would also be good! ... OTHER information websirtes about Subarus? Puhleeeeese!

Thanks guys!!!! ... and gals

As the recent buyer of an '05 outback wagon 2.5 turbo I can tell you there's no lag on our turbo.:brow: Around town mileage is ~23, trip ~ 28, I haven't had it for an interstate trip yet but would expect 28ish mpg. Best advice: Go Drive One.:D

There is an entire website devoted to your questions - http://www.legacygt.com.

For a vehicle that can turn a quarter mile in something over 14 seconds and does 0-60 in well under six seconds, it get great mileage......

Without knowing what other cars you are comparing it with, it would be heard to say if it expensive or cheap.

It's not a BMW or Honda, so C&D is not gentle, but:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=16&article_id=10775

Road & Track picked the Spec B 2nd of seven - first if price was a factor:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=3280&page_number=7

Hey fellas,

I'm looking to buy a new car this summer and one of the cars im considering is the Subaru Legacy Gt sedan. I'm looking for a mid sized sedan that is reliable, discreet (not too flashy), but still sporty and fun to drive. I've read some mixed reviews regarding the legacy so I thought I'd ask you guys what you think of that car. The negative things ive read about the legacy are that it gets poor gas mileage, is expensive compared to other cars in its class, and that it has poor acceleration and turbo lag. I'll definitely be buying a used car, I'm thinking of an 04 or 05. Any advice you could give me would be appreciated. Also if you know of any informational websites that would also be good!

Thanks guys!!!!

So you are in Nor-Cal. Do you drive in bad conditions often?? (AWD) Do you go into the moutains often? (Turbo) If you answer yes to either or both the GT would be a good choice. If you don't see bad driving conditions and moutain climbs often, then other cars might be better suited for your needs.;)

So you are in Nor-Cal. Do you drive in bad conditions often?? (AWD) Do you go into the moutains often? (Turbo) If you answer yes to either or both the GT would be a good choice. If you don't see bad driving conditions and moutain climbs often, then other cars might be better suited for your needs.;)

Agreed.

Subarus, and even more so the GT models, are built for purpose- not for fuel economy and price. However if you find yourself needing the capabilities of a Subaru (or simply love the handling and performance), you will find the price and fuel economy to be very reasonable compared to others offering similar performance.

Another thought- GO DRIVE ONE! :burnout::banana: Then we'll talk more.

By the way, try the non turbo models too. Those cars feel very sporty as well, and for the difference in sticker price, added maintanence, and fuel costs (GT is premium grade!), you may find it is a great alternative. The money saved could be spent on moon roofs, leather, window tinting, etc!!!

Any soobie is a good buy they are safe and they handle great. I have an o5 wagon and love it. Go drive one and let the car do the talkin.

They are nice cars for AWD at a fair price. That is why my family has had them since the 70's. However, we always skied, and lived on non-plowed road in New York and had family in the moutains of Vermont. But there are A LOT of nice cars on the market now. And if you don't need the added tractionh of AWD you most likey don't want it's gas mialage reduction in a daily driver.;) Just my 2 cents, from MANY Roos.