Ultimate Subaru Message Board

04 WRX springs fit 90-91 Legacies

This has been discussed for a bit, but now it can be confirmed. 04+ WRX springs (which are tapered in the rear) will fit 90-91 Legacies (which are also tapered in the rear).

Here's what she looked like right after the wheel bearing project. Up in the air!!!

Patti+Now.JPG

The WRX springs are on the left, originals on the right:

000_0794.JPG

The WRX springs on the right, originals on the left:

000_0796.JPG

Here's what she looked like after the springs, MUCH better:

000_0798.JPG

And just today with the XT6 wheels and Yoko Avid H4's:

000_0800.JPG

Here are the corresponding part numbers:

The springs themselves (04 WRX)

20330FE861 for the fronts

20380FE830 left rear

20380FE820 right rear

Front top hats (04 WRX)-

20323FA000

Front upper rubber spring seats (04 WRX)-

20325AA000

The numbers following this are not confirmed to be NECESSARY, but I got them anyway.

Front washers (04 WRX)-

20326AA000

Rear lower rubber spring seats (04 WRX)-

20375FC001

Rear upper rubber spring seats (91 Legacy)-

20375AA011

The car handles 150% better. Crisper turn-in, less body roll, more grip. The ride is somewhat stiff, but bearable. I highly recommend it!!

I'm hoping to do this in my '94 wagon, once I find the right 90-91 strut components to retrofit.

How would this work with a wagon though? I have no experience with Legacy suspensions yet, just the EA82 style- and on those, using the same springs on a wagon as on a sedan would result in a way off-balance ride height.

Will these springs work fine in my wagon? Or do I need to get WRX wagon springs?

Also, about how far would you say it lowered the car?

If you want, I'll look up wagon WRX springs tomorrow.

I really don't think it will matter. I don't know of any actual differences between wagon and sedan springs in the Legacy or WRX.

I was actually going to measure the exact ride height of the car before and after, but I got impatient :-\. I'm inclined to say an inch. Enough to make a difference, but not anything drastic. Which was exactly what I was looking for.

And 02-03 WRX springs fit 92-94 Legacies. I believe front upper perches are required as well.

Also all 04-06 Impreza springs have the same fitment.

I really don't think it will matter. I don't know of any actual differences between wagon and sedan springs in the Legacy or WRX.

The rates will be different. Especially in a Legacy. Legacy wagons have a much heavier rump roast than Imprezas. Stock rear Legacy wagons springs are something like 190 lb/in, whereas the Impreza wagon springs are only a bit stiffer than the sedan.

One other thing I've heard is that the Impreza wagon has slightly taller springs. Also I would suggest getting Impreza wagon springs for a 1st gen legacy sedan. My 04 sedan springs are a little lower in the rear than I'd like, and the rates seem to be a bit better of a balance.

Oh, and even if you put Impreza wagon springs on a Legacy wagon, it will ride a bit low in the rear.

I was actually going to measure the exact ride height of the car before and after, but I got impatient :-\. I'm inclined to say an inch. Enough to make a difference, but not anything drastic. Which was exactly what I was looking for.

There is a difference, here's a great list someone put together....

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=2153

By the way, here's the list prices for those parts:

20330FE861 $75.73 apiece

20380FE830 $75.73

20380FE820 $75.73

20323FA000 $13.68 apiece

20325AA001 $13.68 apiece

20326AA000 $3.87 apiece

20375FC001 $7.97 apiece

20375AA011 $13.68 apiece

I didn't get a chance to look up the WRX wagon springs today, do you want me to look them up for you on Monday Steve?

It's possible, but look at my pics. The WRX springs are considerably shorter.

So if you were to install WRX springs in the front and leave your stockers on the rear, your rump roast end would be up in the air. You couldn't possibly do anything worse for your handling.