Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help, need to fix tranny filler pipe!

I just replaced my transmission in my 90 Legacy today. I went to fill it up with ATF and noticed a puddle of fluid on the ground. It was leaking from where the filler pipe enters the tranny. I figured I did not tighten down that one little bolt enough, so I torqued on it and the head broke off. Hum.. so now that I broke the one and only bolt that keeps things from leaking.... how would I fix this?

I can't get a drill up in there to drill out the broken bolt. And I'm not about to drop the transmission again. Is there something I can use like JB weld to seal it up?

Please help!

Thanks,

Jeremy:)

Was the o-ring on the pipe?

I'm not sure, but if you drop the pan, you may be able to get at the screw. If you can not, then the JB weld would work and you could make sure any extra JB did not get into the pan.

Down side to this, you will not be able to remove the pipe if you have to and vibration may cause the JB to fail at sometime.

This car has been not so nice to you!

The transmission install when sooo smoothly this time, but I still think this car is jinxed. haha :eek:

What if I just use a rubber plug? Fill the fluid to the proper level and then just plug the hole up? I'll have to get under the car and take out the plug every time I wanna check the fluid level... but thats ok.

I never thought about dropping the pan. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh and yes the o ring was there. First thing I checked!