Ultimate Subaru Message Board

picked up a $50 wagon.. but..

its an 85' gl wagon carbed 2wd 5-speed.. body is almost mint except the rear cargo panels.. otherwise very nice inside an out..

but the guy told me it has a blown HG.. i said ok, took the car.. for $50 who wouldn't? its got parts for my 2wd dl.. anyways

i put a battery in it pumped it 4 or 5 times (carbed) and it fired right up.. smooth as a bell. idles smoother than my 88 spfi wagon..

but its deffinitely blowing antifreeze out the exhaust.. clouds of it..

but i don't think its an hg.. cause it runs too damned smooth... no miss no loss in power (will roast the tires off it in 1st) no other symptoms at all...

so i'm wondering if it just sucked an intake / carb base gasket...

any ideas?

Hi MM..if your getting water in the exhaust..then this means your should also be getting compression into the radiater...check for bubbles when the radiater is full..if you dont see any bubbles..i would remove the intake man..and check the gaskets..second guess would be to block any water pipe to the manifold..and see if the problems stops.also check your spark plugs first and this may tell you which side it is occuring on..the cleaner ones should be where the water is,correct me if im wrong guys .....:brow:

my 86 was blowin smoke like that and i used some block sealer. if you use it right it will seal the crack in the exhaust port and not smoke.

i did this to mine about 30,000 miles ago and now i just check the oil every now and then.:)

mine will roast em in fisrt and second:headbang:

make sure that you use like copper seal or something like it and follow the directions on the bottle or it won't work.