Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay, so I test drove an Impreza and a Forester with my bro (hutch85 here) tonight. Pretty fun. I really enjoyed the Forester. What's the rundown on Foresters--good years, bad years, what to watch for, etc.? Again, I'm thinking probably model year 2000 or newer and up to $15000 or so. Reliability is paramount.

Forester are great cute utes they are based off the Impreza platform and handle VERY WELL for a small SUV!:banana: They have the 2.5 engine and the same trannies as the Legacy and Impreza. You will want to find as new as you can to avoid the phase I EJ25. I have seen less issues with torque bind in there 4EAT's and Less clutch issues in there 5-speeds.:clap: BUt, that could be just who posts here.

Someone here should be able to tell you the last year for the Forester with the phase I EJ25.:brow:

I think 1998 is the only year of phase 1 engines for the forester. I have a 1999 I bought becuse it is the first year of phase 2 in this platform.

With 15% stiffer shocks and a WRX rear swaybar this does a perfectly balanced four wheel drift in a tight corner.

Actually, the last year for the EJ 22 in the Legacy was the phase 2 in the 1999 model, used for a couple more years in the Impreza. All outbacks since '97 used the EJ25. Try a 1999 Legacy wagon. There's no definitive proof as to what's better -auto or man. so take your pick and hope that the person who had it before took care of it. There was a tranny improvement in 1998 or 1999 for the autos-look for a spin off oil filter at the front of the tranny- that indicates the improved tranny. Manuals have 50/50 power split all the time; autos are 90/10 front/rear, shifting depending on load and wheel sensors.Look at the tires to check for signs of "scrubbing." Get it checked by an independent mechanic, who knows Subarus, you can trust before you put your cash down. If there's no documentation as to the last oil, coolant,etc. change, then flush and refill all fluids. You may be better off changing the timing belt too if you don't know when it was last changed, as when the belt breaks, it can be catastrophic as the engine is an interference design. Legacy L models are a good deal as they came with "Anniversary" packages that year for a good price. Do your homework and you should be able to get a good car at a good price. Good luck! :clap:

Been pouring over the car ads for the past week, mostly just out of interest. I found a 2004 Forester X with 17,000 miles on it private party for $15,500 last night at 10:30. I wasn't even going to go look at it, but my wife convinced me to. Went with my bro (hutch85 here) to test drive it today (I hadn't even fully decided as of last night that I was going to buy a car). It was in great shape. Nice older lady selling because there is one less income in the house now. This car should be $18,500 according to Kelley Blue Book and even higher according to the rarity of private sellers in my area. I am stoked out of my mind. It's still friggin' under warranty, plus she bought the extended 60,000 warranty, all of which we'll transfer. HOW DO YA LIKE ME NOW!!!

Get: a Gen1 wagon, a full time 4WD turbo automatic EA81 GL-10, an EA82 d/r wagon, a Loyale, 3 Justy wagons and spend the rest making them even spiffier

he wants you to get the other cars, so you can swap out the parts that break :-p so in the end you have ONE really spiffy car, and 5 car carcesses :brow:

i like my 97 OBS... but it's a little small for all the stuff i move around. eh, good luck.. and oh yeah.. the EJ22 will take a bullet for you.. or at least the oil pan will take a few rocks :rolleyes:

Been pouring over the car ads for the past week, mostly just out of interest. I found a 2004 Forester X with 17,000 miles on it private party for $15,500 last night at 10:30. I wasn't even going to go look at it, but my wife convinced me to. Went with my bro (hutch85 here) to test drive it today (I hadn't even fully decided as of last night that I was going to buy a car). It was in great shape. Nice older lady selling because there is one less income in the house now. This car should be $18,500 according to Kelley Blue Book and even higher according to the rarity of private sellers in my area. I am stoked out of my mind. It's still friggin' under warranty, plus she bought the extended 60,000 warranty, all of which we'll transfer. HOW DO YA LIKE ME NOW!!!

I thought it was odd that people were still suggesting cars but, as I re-read my post, I realized I didn't say that I bought this car. Blazin deal...