Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Airflow Meter same as normal GL?

Hey y'all -

I recently picked up an 88 Turbo GL wagon to replace my ailing 88 GL Wagon. The Turbo runs generally fine but has been giving me some odd stalling problems which the ECU is diagnosing as a bad Airflow meter. Disconnecting the plug let me start the car and drive it but it was in failure mode and obviously performance was poor.

My question is, seeing as how I have an 88 GL with an engine which works fine, can I pull the Airflow meter from that, or is there a difference for the Turbo version? I haven't inspected them side by side yet, but in theory seems they could be the same since it is before the turbo.

Anyone have relevant experience here?

Thanks,

-Hamish

88 GL Turbo (Javier) 147K

88 GL (Pedro) 263K

Well I took a look, they are very different components. Most strikingly the turbo one has two additional pins (A-B-C-D versus A-B-C-D-E-F).

The non-turbo is SPFI so maybe that's the problem. I am going to try some other stuff like cleaning grounds before I do the replacement but if anyone has seen a turbo or MPFI (would that include loyales?) in a bay area junkyard recently I'd like to hear about it...

Thanks,

-Hamish