Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Outback 2.2l 120k service

I purchased this 96 outback in november with 108k miles on it. The previous owner had kept every maintenence receipt/record and kept up at all the recommended intertervals.

The only thing I have done so far is had the front and rear brakes replaced.

My questions is that the 120k recommended service is coming up quickly (@ 117,500). I am not mechanically inclined and want to pay for this service. What kind of costs am I looking at for the tuneup (air filter, spark plugs, inspect timing belt, fuel filter etc) Will I be gouged if I take it to the dealer?

How much would I be looking at?

thanks

Jeff

PS if anyone knows a good subaru mechanic in Portland/Corvallis etc please let me know. I currently live in Corvallis.

dealer quoted my cousin $699 last summer for a timing belt job. so yes, you could easily be gouged. i did it for cost of parts only and the total came to about $300-$350 i think and i did it right. i replaced the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, timing belt pulleys, oil pump seals, cam seals....you get the point. dealers quote did not include all of that which i think should be done.

your 2.2 is the last year for the non-interference 2.2 so if your timing belt did break there is no chance of damage to the engine. so if you wanted to keep plugging along in it you can.

have the plugs, wires, PCV valve, and thermostat replaced as part of your tune up. cost will vary. be absolutely certain to use Subaru OEM wires and NGK plugs. NGK's are probalby $40 at Subaru, same exact plugs are probably $15 at the local parts store. you don't have to have it done by subaru, i never do, but always use Subaru replacement wires for this motor and the 2.5. this is not a dealer required service either, any competent mechanic can do it. these items along with an air filter and fuel filter would run in the $150-$300 range depending on all the possible variables.

ask around (on here or word of mouth) for reputable local mechanics for sure.