Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tam Timing?

Hey, if tam timing off one tooth would that present a vibration in motor that would be noticeable IN SHIFTER?

<this question is from Clinton, mechanic working on my car shifter vibration problem/increases as I accelerate/present quietly during idle)

Car: 89 Subaru FWD 4d Sedan

I believe you mean Cam Timing, not Tam Timing.

Did your mechanic do any dis-assembly to the engine when he swapped the transmission? I think the answer would be NO, and in that case, the answer to your questions is NO.

If he did do timing belts, and a cam is off a tooth, you would notice it. Car would have no power, and may not even idle!

I suggest you continue looking at the transmission and shifter assemblies. Make sure the shifter assembly is bolted securely to the back of the transmission, and I believe there is a bracket that mounts to the body as well.

Ask you mechanic if he re-used the transmission mounts off your old transmission, or if he used the ones that came with the "new" transmission. If it didn't shake before, I would have him re-install the mounts that were on the old transmission. Check the shifter assembly to make sure the spring has been re-attached, and that all the bushings are in correctly.

You could also go to the Subaru dealership in Moscow, ID and talk to one of their older mechanics, or the parts guy and see what they reccomends. I know they used to have some pretty knowledgable people that worked there...

yes, it would be noticeable in the shifter, but it would be noticeable under ALL conditions, and you would have a LOT of power loss too - the engine itself would be doing a lot of vibrating - and for info on how to check to be shure t-belts are lined up properly, check in the repair manual section (USRM)

<Did your mechanic do any dis-assembly to the engine when he swapped the transmission?> No.

But he said that he noticed some motor vibration and that, in his opinion, it seemed to lack get-up-and-go power. His opinion was that it accelerates too slow.

<I suggest you continue looking at the transmission and shifter assemblies. Make sure the shifter assembly is bolted securely to the back of the transmission, and I believe there is a bracket that mounts to the body as well.>

Ok. Will pass that on. I have given him url to this site, too. He said that he did not remove pressure plate, etc., when installing tranny. He did notice a loose lock nut on shifting rod that bolts to the tranny and he tightened it up all the way.

<Ask you mechanic if he re-used the transmission mounts off your old transmission, or if he used the ones that came with the "new" transmission. If it didn't shake before, I would have him re-install the mounts that were on the old transmission. > Used mounts from old t.

< Check the shifter assembly to make sure the spring has been re-attached, and that all the bushings are in correctly.>

OK

<You could also go to the Subaru dealership in Moscow, ID and talk to one of their older mechanics, or the parts guy and see what they reccomends. I know they used to have some pretty knowledgable people that worked there.>

Yep and when I do they will start the "don't you think it's time to buy...."

THANK YOU

yes, it would be noticeable in the shifter, but it would be noticeable under ALL conditions, and you would have a LOT of power loss too - the engine itself would be doing a lot of vibrating - and for info on how to check to be shure t-belts are lined up properly, check in the repair manual section (USRM)

Tam or Cam? or Ka-bam? I just wrote what I believed he said. There is vibration -- quieter but there --- when I'm idling in driveway and when I gas it in drive it vibrates really well. But in that scenario, it never gets as noisy -- shfter really vibrating around -- as when I'm accelerating.

I got timing belts replaced at 116,000. It's now at 150,000.

And I have opened hood while it's running and noticed engine vibration. Not a ton but it sure is there.

Where do I get that repair manual? I downloaded the pdf file for soob but it only goes up to 88.

Cam is short for camshaft. The camshaft is driven by the timing belts off the crankshaft. If you're a tooth off, the engine will run really poorly and it will be very noticable at idle. You will feel it as the whole car will shake, not just the shifter.

The 89 is identical to the 88, except possibly some changes in color coding of wiring. The manual is the same for both.

The parts guys at the dealer won't bite, just don't walk near the sales guys.

I jsut thought of this... is there a pitch rod connected between the back of teh engine and the firewall? If your spare tire is in the stock position, it should be under there. If that isn't connected, you will feel more vibration from the engine and trans.

I got timing belts replaced at 116,000. It's now at 150,000.

Timing belts need to be adjusted every 20K miles, because they stretch and the adjusters aren't automatic. Personally, I do mine every 10K miles, because as the belts stretch, the one on the driver's side will retard the ignition timing. This is because the driver side timing belt drives the cam on that side, which also drives the distributor, located on the back of the head. This belt seems more prone to snap than the passenger side one, due to the extra work it does.

If your belts haven't been adjusted in 20K or more miles, they may have stretched to the point that they slipped a tooth or more.

:headbang::confused:

doesn't duct tape solve everything????

fellow tonight drove it a bit. he came back and said that he wonders about the shifter & its components being bolted completely...wondered about their connection to tran.

sighhhhhh

called another shop this p.m to have them just take a look-see. they said sure --- give us $75.

He said that he did not remove pressure plate, etc., when installing tranny.

he installed the transmission?

did it do this before the trans install?

if it didn't do this before the transmission was installed then it's certainly something related to what the install. transmission mounts and pitch stopper all need to be checked. motor mounts as well. basically anything related to the transmission install or any other work he did.