Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing plugs for 3.0 engine

Planning to replace the plugs in my '01 3.0 Outback. Did a search in the forums for pointers and noted that most of the discussions are for the 2.5 engine. (Remove wiper washer tank, move battery, etc ...)

Can anyone verify if the steps are the same for the 3.0? From a visual look around, there seems to be little clearance between the valve cover and body of the car ... am worried if this is at all doable with home garage tools. I asked the dealer and they mentioned a "special" tool they have.

Thanks,

Paul

Both my present OBW and my last OBW have the 2.5, and as you've already stated, there isn't much room to get those plugs out, even if you remove the airbox and the washer tank. What I've found works to get in between the box frame and the head is a combination of a plug wrench, a 3 inch extention, a universal joint, and the rachet. In one plug location I've found that I didn't need the universal joint, just the extention and the rachet. In others I've needed the universal joint after the plug wrench, then the extension and the rachet, and if I recall correctly, one required the plug wrench, then the universal, no extention, and then the rachet. As I've said, even though I don't have the flat six engine experience, I suspect that with what I've related here, I think you will find you'll be able to do the job yourself without anything more than what I've suggested. Then again, maybe someone who has done a 3.0 change over will jump in with another suggestion. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone else can chime in on this please? Someone got to have done it for the H6 ...

i'm on here everyday and have yet to see info on doing anything to the new H6. ask the dealer to copy the pages from the FSM..or better yet buy an FSM if you plan on keeping the car/doing your maintenance. or stop at the autoparts store and thumb through a Haynes manual and see if they have the newer H6 covered (probably do) and if it gives you what you want. there are times special tools are needed, but usually they aren't necessary.