Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise Control Module Purchase?

I have a 2000 Outback with the 2.5L engine. The Cruise Control went out sometime ago and I am getting around to fixing it. It was sporadic at first and then went completely out. I suspect it is the module. I have looked the whole system over and can't find anything obvious. I don't know how to check to see if the module is bad or not so it is a hit or miss replacement part for me.

Does anyone know where to buy these things at a resonable price. I have seen one online for 93.00 and some change?ouch.

I did not completely take the cruise lever out of the steering wheel (I did'nt know how to get the cover off), but sprayed electric cleaner down into it. Actuator and cables look fine. Button on dash lights up.

This forum is great. I would not enjoy my Subaru as much if this forum was not here. Great source of information and sharing stories about the cars.

Jeff

what does and doesnt work on the cruise? how did it operate before it died?

nipper

It was working intermittenly. When it was working it would function without any problems during the engagement of the cruise control. Once you touch the brakes or button to turn it off, it would not always come back on. This went on for about 3 months. Finally it quit alltogether and never would come back on.

The light on the dash button works. I could not find any vaccum hoses to check, coming from the actuator area. I may be looking in the wrong place.

Does this system have a magnetic sensor looking at the drive shaft (for speed)? I have heard this on some vehicles gets dirty and causes this. Car is always garaged. The cruise control only worked for a three years after the car was bought. When the warranty ran out, so did the cruise control. Thanks for your reply.

hrmmm. Check the brake switch for the cruise control first. Look for simple things. There really isnt much to the cruise control systems anymore. All there is si the on/off switch, the cruise switch, the brake and clutch switch, the VSS, the actuator, and the module.

i would replace the brake switch abd see what that does.

nipper

hrmmm. Check the brake switch for the cruise control first. Look for simple things. There really isnt much to the cruise control systems anymore. All there is si the on/off switch, the cruise switch, the brake and clutch switch, the VSS, the actuator, and the module.

i would replace the brake switch abd see what that does.

nipper

Thanks Nipper. I will check out the brake switch. I looked at it but did not test the circut. What is a VSS?

Jeff

if your spedo is working, your vss is working. Now its possible that there is noise on the line, as i dont know hoe senstaive the Cruise puter is as opposed to the spedo computer.

Check your brake switche first, much cheaper then a vss, or a module. Also may pay to go to a scrap yard and pull a few modules and see if they fix the problem.

If the actuator is vacume operated (this is a general statement) make sure it holds a vaccum, if its electronic, not much you can do to test it.

nipper