Ultimate Subaru Message Board

solution to overheating?

My 93 Loyale almost always overheats when I drive home from town. There's a nice long stretch of highway that's all uphill and the temp is usually past 3/4 to the red zone by the time I get off the highway. I've tried pulling 75mph to 55mph and the result is about the same. Recently I wired a switch to the thermo switch on the radiator that controls the electric fan and turn the fan on before I go up the hill and the temp guage hasn't gone up much past the halfway mark. Is my sensor going dead or is the temp range for that fan just too narrow and activates the fan when its already pretty hot? What's the name for that sensor anyway and does anybody have a parts#? Any other thoughts about the overheating?

Thanks

Jack

My 93 Loyale almost always overheats when I drive home from town. There's a nice long stretch of highway that's all uphill and the temp is usually past 3/4 to the red zone by the time I get off the highway. I've tried pulling 75mph to 55mph and the result is about the same. Recently I wired a switch to the thermo switch on the radiator that controls the electric fan and turn the fan on before I go up the hill and the temp guage hasn't gone up much past the halfway mark. Is my sensor going dead or is the temp range for that fan just too narrow and activates the fan when its already pretty hot? What's the name for that sensor anyway and does anybody have a parts#? Any other thoughts about the overheating?

Thanks

Jack

Replace the sensor. Since you wired in at the sensor, you know the fans and relays work. Your sensor is dead.

nipper

I believe the official name is 'thermoswitch' although it can be called 'auxiliary fan switch'. It is basically a bi-metallic snap action switch.

Just ordered one myself from www.thepartsbin.com, p/n G5030-83931 for $23. No guarantee this is the right part, just cheaper. :brow: Lowest I found until today was $70-80. Be wary, their computer doesn't know the difference between a hatch and a coupe. If I get this part to work maybe I'll post this in a new thread.

I've been running without this switch working for over two years and temp stays well below 1/2 even for short idles. I'd also look elsewhere (maybe replace the radiator) if you need the aux fan on to stay cool at speed. Keep yer Subie cool and it will run until it rusts out :lol:

I was having the same problem with my Loyale when I first got it. I installed a better 2 core radiator and it never went past halfway after that.

that was going to be my first suggestion. Radiaotrs clog with age, especially if no one has been changing the coolant every two years.

it can still be a clogged radiator and the fans cycling cnat keep up with the heat load.

nipper

Thanks for all the posts. I changed the Tstat maybe a month ago and the coolant a few days after that. I wouldn't put it past the radiator being clogged. I have a ea81 radiator thats in good shape. Would I be able to put it in without much trouble or does the ea82 have dimensions that are different enough to make it a hassle?

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a radiator on ebay and that solved my problems. No more overheating. The fan sensor even works when its supposed to now. I can even run it with the AC on max and it doesn't even get close to halfway up the gauge. Yay for unplugged radiators!