Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My son from whom I purchased this '95 Legacy wagon 6 weeks ago reminded me a week ago, "By the way, the high beams stopped working last fall." Here's what they do: I can flash them by pulling back on the switch lever, but pushing forward on the lever doesn't illuminate them.

In browsing through the Haynes manual, I sensed the '95 Legacy has a relay for each side but not a special relay to power the high beams. Is that correct? And, if so, am I looking at a defective switch lever assembly? It seems unlikely to me that both sides' relays could have gone belly up at the same time. And...the relays light the high beams when I pull on the lever to flash them. That's why I'm thinking switch.

Rob Kuhlman

My son from whom I purchased this '95 Legacy wagon 6 weeks ago reminded me a week ago, "By the way, the high beams stopped working last fall." Here's what they do: I can flash them by pulling back on the switch lever, but pushing forward on the lever doesn't illuminate them.

In browsing through the Haynes manual, I sensed the '95 Legacy has a relay for each side but not a special relay to power the high beams. Is that correct? And, if so, am I looking at a defective switch lever assembly? It seems unlikely to me that both sides' relays could have gone belly up at the same time. And...the relays light the high beams when I pull on the lever to flash them. That's why I'm thinking switch.

Rob Kuhlman

i tend to agree. The switch has a seperate leg for constant hi, as opposed to flash. Could be that contact is worn out since everything else works. You can take a meter to the switch and confirm it.

nipper