Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CHP Cut me a break in my Brat.

I've been driving my Wagon around for the past few months, and just now got the Brat out of the garage for some fun. I was driving a friend home from work, and he lives off of the freeway. There so happend to be a 20mph circular off-ramp, and i love taking them at 40 to 50, with all four tires squeeling.

Well, tonight was a perfect night for it :) I aproached the off-ramp at around 50, then slowed to 40 to get it into 3rd. All of my tires are pretty much bald street tires by now, so it didnt take much for them to break loose. About 1/2 way through the turn, i had to put it into 2nd to control the car. I came out of the off-ramp onto a bridge that crosses the freeway, and the rear of the Brat came loose as i merged onto the overpass.

But what I didnt see, was the CHP officer on his bike, probably about 50 to 60 feet behind me as I did so. Of course he pulled me over, but he was actually pretty cool about the whole thing. I tried to convince him I had complete control of the car at all times and knew what i was doing, but he kept saying things like "This isn't a Corvette, you cant be driving it like one" blah blah blah..

The only thing he did was walk to the front of the car to make sure the lights were working, walked to the back of the car where he noticed there was no bumper. When he came back and asked me about the bumper, i told him i was having a dent removed from it, and it'd be back on Monday.

When he came back, he ended up giving me a citation for not having any lights for my rear plate (cause the bumpers gone), and a warning of "unsafe speed" with no mention of the reckless driving. I have until Jan 6th, 2004 to have the bumper on, and that's about it.

I think I shal count myself lucky, and take it alittle slower for now, definatly need to get new tires tho :)

-Brian

They go ape over no rear bumper here too. Totally Redneck, but some people just bolt a 2X6 across the mounts. Cops don't say much about it, bumper only needs to withstand a 5mph impact.

And no, you can't drive it like a Corvette. You can drive it better than one. 'Vettes can't easily accelerate out of a rear slide, whereas our Subaru's can.

'Tis cool that you only got a fix-it ticket out of it. Could of got you for a whole lot more.

I dont know. I told him if I were in a corvette, i would have lost control at the apex of the turn, when the rear end broke loose. I told him that with the FWD, the car was able to pull itself through the turn, and remain in control. He just stood there with a stupid smile on his face and told me to be careful :) I apologized and told him it wouldnt happen again.

-Brian