Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need help!

When I'm sitting still at traffic lights, every 3-5 seconds the engine would make a shake and it is enough for me to notice it sitting in my seat. Not just the normal shaking of an Idiling engine as it's more rough. The car runs smooth when moving though.

I have just bought the car and it is a 1997 (MY98) Subaru WRX STi (Version 4) EJ20T which has just over 94,000Km's and is pretty much stock standard apart from a big bore exhaust from turbo, pod filter, & a twin trumpet BOV. The lady I bought the car off just over a week ago told me it is now is boosting 16.5PSI from those mod's so I'm not sure if a tune up would help. I was thinking about replacing the spark plugs with NGK Iridian's. It appears to have aftermarket spark plug leads on it because they are blue but I can't see a brand name on them...I'm guessing NGK leads.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Cody

Wow another kiwi! could it just be the idle dropping for a second with cooling fans kicking in?

KELTIK

Haha yea our presence is felt!

About what you said, the rev's don't drop at all, they just stay the usual when on idile when it shakes. Could it possibly be the timing belt needs a look at? I was told the cambelt was done just before the car was first brought into New Zealand from Japan in Dec 05 but the owner did not have any receipts for it or service history of that.

It's a Subaru thing. :rolleyes:

Seriously, every Subaru I've ever driven in my life does that.

You can try putting new motor mounts in it, that might help a tiny bit, but you'll never get it to completely go away.

Just accept it as a personality quirk :)

I agree, it is a common problem with Subaru, and no answer has been found here yet. Mine does this also.

It's a Subaru thing. :rolleyes:

Seriously, every Subaru I've ever driven in my life does that.

You can try putting new motor mounts in it, that might help a tiny bit, but you'll never get it to completely go away.

Just accept it as a personality quirk :)

I agree, it is a common problem with Subaru, and no answer has been found here yet. Mine does this also.

Oh ok, pretty weird aye. Before I bought the car I had a 1994 Subaru Impreza 1.5L (EJ15) and that didn't do it though. But oh well if you guys say it's common then I won't worry about it.

Cheers for your thoughts!

Yep, another vote for the "they all do that, sir!" line.

I have long term experience with three Subes, one of them a turbo, and they all have a slightly erratic lump at idle. Most of the time smooth as an androids bottom, but occasionally there's a shake.

If you don't feel the engine mounts are being stressed and the engine is bucking about, relax and enjoy the ride!

Yep, another vote for the "they all do that, sir!" line.

I have long term experience with three Subes, one of them a turbo, and they all have a slightly erratic lump at idle. Most of the time smooth as an androids bottom, but occasionally there's a shake.

If you don't feel the engine mounts are being stressed and the engine is bucking about, relax and enjoy the ride!

Yea thats prob the best way to describe it actually...a slight lump. It doesn't feel like anything is being stressed. Just a bit of a gentle body shake.

I'm glad it's not serious haha, I'm not the type that takes it to the race track or drag strip, I just love to have short bursts on the road and get knocked back in my seat and feel adrenaline. :)

At regular intervals (3 to 4 months) my engine starts shaking at idle but the idle speed is correct and stable. Each time I get rid of it by using a top end cleaner directly fed by a vac line on the throttle body. I suspect that shaking is caused by carbon build up that produces a mild case of miss in some cylinders.

You could try a shot of Seafoam or similar cleaner in the top end and see if the condition goes away.

Good luck!

NGK Iridian's.
I stared at the word for several minutes knowing for sure that it wasn't correct, but I couldn't figure out specifically how. I had to actually go take look at a package of plugs.

As it turns out, Iridian's are indigenous peoples.

**** ******!