Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front strut question on EA81.

I'm replacing my shocks on my EA81 lifted wagon. I was wondering If I need this strut mount kit or do the replacement struts bolt on to the 3in BYB lift mount.

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/kyb/details?part_num=SM5365&products=1&part_category=KYB%20Strut%20Mount%20Kit&specific_fit=1981%20SUBARU%20GL%20H4%201.8L&session_id=00bdc4bb42a0f978a1dd12a4eedfab8b

Thanks

I'm replacing my shocks on my EA81 lifted wagon. I was wondering If I need this strut mount kit or do the replacement struts bolt on to the 3in BYB lift mount.

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/kyb/details?part_num=SM5365&products=1&part_category=KYB%20Strut%20Mount%20Kit&specific_fit=1981%20SUBARU%20GL%20H4%201.8L&session_id=00bdc4bb42a0f978a1dd12a4eedfab8b

Thanks

replacement struts do not come with the strut mounts or springs.

you will need to take the strut mounts and springs off your existing front struts, and put them on the replacement struts.

if you buy the replacement struts/mounts from NAPA, they have a spring compressor that you can use... (at least they used to work it that way, for a refundable deposit)...

be sure and regrease the thrust bearing in the strut mounts though...

Thanks a lot. Also will the new front struts make my camber even worse?:eek: Will removing the front sway bar help my camber? Maybe 1/2in wheel spacers would help the camber?

to help with your camber, do this....

take your strut lift blocks and grind off all the areas in red on the top plate...

strutlift.jpg

and be sure you have beaten the snot out of the inner strut tower to allow the strut to move in at the top, and not rub.

you may also want to slightly oval the strut mount hole towards the engine, to allow the top to move even further towards the engine.

These things will help your camber....