Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys, I have a 1997 (MY98) V4 Subaru STi and want to get some aftermarket extractors for more power, also ones that really make the subaru rumble stand out.

I have heard the Coby and Lukey ones do a great job in those area's, but thought I'd get your opinion's???

Cheers

Hi guys, I have a 1997 (MY98) V4 Subaru STi and want to get some aftermarket extractors for more power, also ones that really make the subaru rumble stand out.

I have heard the Coby and Lukey ones do a great job in those area's, but thought I'd get your opinion's???

Cheers

Please translate from Kiwi to Yank.

(I'm guessing headers)

Carl

Factory headers aren't all that bad. And with the turbo pulling gases out, the gains here aren't going to be massive.

Better to look behind the turbo, especially the flange that looks nice and wide from outside, but is really just a small pipe in a big flange.

A good turbo-back system can give you 25-30 bhp more along with less lag.

Haha yeah headers in other words mate!

Enjoy a 'cold tube' and cruise the exhaust reviews at http://www.subarureview.com/engine.php?PHPSESSID=59da332400b5149a2d74e1ab1c566fec

Cusco, Borla, Gruppe-S and others offer headers, but I think a full header back - with possibly having the stock turbo 'ported' would be a better use of funds. Some folks have experienced 'cracks at the Y' (no - not THAT crack at the Y!) and heat problems with aftermarket headers. I dunno. I've read you will want OVER 3 inch dia. over 300hp - I dunno what dia. you have stock. So you may as well start with header back first. Then see where the best place to spend the next funds would be.

You might also do some searching/reading/posting in the appropriate forums at www.nasioc.com - those guys are a huge database for performance mods.

Carl