Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 subaru hovercraft engine

I need some help with getting my engine started. I was sent here by Shawn from CCR. I have an 85 subaru - I don't have the car, just the engine, but I am told that it is a loyal. It's an EA 82 SOHC with a carb. I don't have any spark. I have power to the coil in the start and run positions on the key. I have a schematic that says i need a Transistor ignition control between the coil and the distributor. Is this true? I have 2 coils and 2 distributors and have tried them both. COuld it be that the electronic control module inside the distributor is just fried?? Any help in any way would be greatly appreciated.

Bob- I can't believe Shawn could not answer your question. I just purchased a EA 82 EFI from CCR, and while I have not yet installed it in my boat, I'd certainly expect Shawn to be able to answer a question like that. Or is it that you didn't get your engine from CCR?.

The carb model does not need the power amplifier.

The power amp (transistor) is for the crank angle sensor type

distributor used on the SPFI and MPFI/turbo models.

Which control module you need depends on where/what the engine was built for (CA or 4wd).

The FSM shows different modules for different carbed engines of this period.

Bob- I can't believe Shawn could not answer your question. I just purchased a EA 82 EFI from CCR, and while I have not yet installed it in my boat, I'd certainly expect Shawn to be able to answer a question like that. Or is it that you didn't get your engine from CCR?.

Well, I get a lot of engines from CCR, but this one was my personal engine that I wanted to rebuild myself. Shawn did help out a lot, and has done a lot for all my other engines. He did have a few ideas for a fix. Thanks for you comments

Bob

Hi, I don't actually know the the EA82, but I can tell you that you need an earth connection to the engine or disty and power to the electronic unit in the disty also.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info

Bob

The carb model does not need the power amplifier.

The power amp (transistor) is for the crank angle sensor type

distributor used on the SPFI and MPFI/turbo models.

Which control module you need depends on where/what the engine was built for (CA or 4wd).

The FSM shows different modules for different carbed engines of this period.

It is the carb model

I don't know exactly if it was ca or 4wd, but i'm in illinois and got the car from illinois, but that doesn't mean much

Thanks,

Bob

Bob ,You dont need anything extra in your system .I had the same problem on an ea 82 with carb ,I thought I had fried the electronics in the distributor ,but when I followed the manual ,everything worked.I still have the engine and distributor if you want to borrow my dist ,Im in chicago.

Regards

Jude