Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Although my leaks are minor i want to fix them...1996 2.2L 5spd

1.) The plastic cover on the front of the engine - the bottom is leaking. what is this??

2.) Valve cover maybe - will post pics tom. if not raining.

Anybody have a pdf or anything showing the engine broken down with numbers listing parts??

Although my leaks are minor i want to fix them...1996 2.2L 5spd

1.) The plastic cover on the front of the engine - the bottom is leaking. what is this??

2.) Valve cover maybe - will post pics tom. if not raining.

Anybody have a pdf or anything showing the engine broken down with numbers listing parts??

The plastic cover at the front of the engine is the timing belt cover. It might be covering a more significant leak than you think because the cover's gasket could be holding in some of the oil, even though it has already leaked out of the engine. The leak is likely to be coming from one of the cam seals or the oil pump, all of which are covered by the timing belt cover. Remove the cover, and it should be clear where the leak is coming from. A search should get you plenty of threads on the subject.

What is under the front cover;

Timing Belt

cam seals

main (crank) seal

Oil Pump

Water Pump

This is the time to replace all those goodies and the timing belt tensioner too. DO all this you will be good for 100,000 miles

nipper