Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 gaskets etc in New Zealand?

Hi, does anyone have a good (cheap) supplier for EA81 gaskets and bearings in NZ? The local subaru dealer is very helpful and put together a list of all the parts needed as they no longer do a rebuild kit, and while none of the parts seemed excessively expensive individually, they add up to about $500. Piston ring sets were pretty dear too at $278.

Jeremy

Hi, does anyone have a good (cheap) supplier for EA81 gaskets and bearings in NZ? The local subaru dealer is very helpful and put together a list of all the parts needed as they no longer do a rebuild kit, and while none of the parts seemed excessively expensive individually, they add up to about $500. Piston ring sets were pretty dear too at $278.

Jeremy

try this guy, ive got stuff off him in the past

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Engines-drive-trains/auction-56483503.htm

For rings and bearings Repco is fine, talk nicely to them and they might give you a discount. I endeed up paying about $100 for chrome rings, about $100 for mains and $80 for big ends.

Repco will do most gaskets, not all, but i'd just go with subaru for them as some (head gaskets and intake gaskets mainly) are much better than repco ones. I ended up making my own for the oil pump cos i was gonna have to wait 3 months for a new one to come from japan.

Gaskets i did get from repco wern't much cheaper than subaru anyway.

Has anyone in NZ (or aus) bought stuff from the parts bin? Their prices for OEM gasket sets are good.

If so, what sort of time did it take? I'm not in any great hurry but don't want to be waiting three months for parts.

Those repco ring and bearing prices seem reasonable, I might price up some SPFI pistons while I'm there.

i've ordered from thepartsbin.com, i use them often. for large orders a contact from the states might be your best bet. some of the online (and members of this board) Subaru dealers have excellent pricing here in the states, might want to check into that.