Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Umm, I've already run it at full power with regualr on a dyno and there was nothing abnormal. Like I said, I believe they "recommend" higher octane so they can advertise the slightly higher power output. I don't know what the exact higher output is, but will when I put it on the dyno again.

Is your ECU throwing codes when you run regular?

-----------------------------------------------------------

YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

What is meant by Premium fuel being 'Recommended?' I don't understand if this means only that the performance of the engine will be better with 91+ Octane fuel, or if it means that Regular grades are to be used only in emergencies. The engine seems to run very well with any fuel I have used, both Regular and Premium.

Is Premium considered to be 91 Octane?

Thank you

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We hope that you have been enjoying your 2006 Outback 3.0R Wagon.

The 3.0-liter H6 engine is designed to operate using unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI or higher. Regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI or higher may be used. This is not just for emergency situations. You can use regular unleaded fuel in your vehicle on a regular basis. However, for optimum engine performance and driveability, it is recommended that you use 91 AKI or higher grade unleaded gasoline.

You may experience reduced output, poor accelerator response, and reduced fuel economy when using gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 AKI, depending on your driving habits and conditions.

If you experience any of those conditions while using a lower octane rated fuel, you may want to return to using 91 AKI octane rated fuel as soon as possible. Additionally, if your vehicle knocks heavily or persistently, or if you are driving with heavy loads such as when towing a trailer, the use of 91 AKI or higher grade unleaded gasoline is required

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

-----------------------------------------------------------

YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

What is meant by Premium fuel being 'Recommended?' I don't understand if this means only that the performance of the engine will be better with 91+ Octane fuel, or if it means that Regular grades are to be used only in emergencies. The engine seems to run very well with any fuel I have used, both Regular and Premium.

Is Premium considered to be 91 Octane?

Thank you

What it means is that as long as the car is under warrenty you run premium fuel. Premium fuel as defined by that areas gasoline retailers. Octane ratings change depnding upon altitude.

Everything you never wanted to know about gasoline

http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/autos/gasoline-faq/part3.html

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filling_station

In the United States, all gasoline is unleaded and is available in several grades, which are differentiated by octane rating: 87 (Regular), 89 (Super Unleaded), and 91 (Premium) are typical grades. In certain regions, fuels rated at 92 and 93 octane can also be found. Minimum octane levels are often lower in the Mountain States, where regular unleaded can be rated as low as 85 octane. A lower octane fuel is sufficient in the Mountain States because the higher altitude in these states reduces the need for high-octane fuel.

Fuels in the U.S. are described in terms of their "pump octane", which is the average of their "RON" (Research Octane Number) and "MON" (Motor Octane Number). Labels on gasoline pumps in the U.S. typically describe this as the "(R+M)/2 Method".

Some nations describe fuels according to the traditional RON or MON ratings, so octane ratings cannot always be compared with the equivalent U.S. rating by the "(R+M)/2 method".

In Europe, petrol is unleaded and available in 95 (Eurosuper) and 98 (Super Plus) octanes; in some countries, 91 octane petrol is offered as well. Some stations offer 98 RON with lead substitute. In the UK, leaded 99/100 RON petrol has been reintroduced (legally) on a very limited basis for use by classic car enthusiasts and racers by the independent oil company Bayford Thrust (also the UK licensees of the famous Gulf Oil brand).

nipper

What it means is that as long as the car is under warrenty you run premium fuel. Premium fuel as defined by that areas gasoline retailers. Octane ratings change depnding upon altitude.

Where does it say that in their response?

Hey, just me again; adding to the original thread :)

Well tomorrow, I get the "Hood Deflector/Bug Shield" and the "Ultimate Cargo Basket" for my new Suby.

I love the color of my new Suby, "Champagne Gold Opal".

You get three colors out of one. Depending on the lighting - you get "Tan/Gold", "Silver", or a "Light Greenish Color". Can't wait to see what the Cargo Basket will look like on her.

99miles

Hey, just me again; adding to the original thread :)

Well tomorrow, I get the "Hood Deflector/Bug Shield" and the "Ultimate Cargo Basket" for my new Suby.

I love the color of my new Suby, "Champagne Gold Opal".

You get three colors out of one. Depending on the lighting - you get "Tan/Gold", "Silver", or a "Light Greenish Color". Can't wait to see what the Cargo Basket will look like on her.

99miles

Can you post some pics of the leather interior? Are the side panels leather? Is the entire seat leather, or just the seating surfaces?

Oh, BTW: Waiting for a call from the dealer to see if the will take the Ultimate Cargo Basket, back.

I absolutely, loved the look. This looks Great on The Outback...

However, a constant hum as I was driving and pop, pop, pop. The aerodynamics of the car turns the fearing into the "Perfect" bug catcher - pop, pop, pop.

So I thought; I’d take the fearing off and maybe the air would pass through. What a mistake. You are driving around with a wasp swarm above you.

Now try and open your sun roof and that inside shade cover (or whatever it's called) starts vibrate badly. Not to mention, the bugs that don't stick to the fearing, just drop on in.

Drove around and had it on for only a day and a half.

Subaru really should have advertised, "Not recommended for the Sunroof Outback’s"

99miles