Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got a 92 loyale 4x4 a few months ago. I have tried the 4wd a couple times in gravel areas. It does fine in a straight line, but when I turn sharp at least one tire in the rear seems to be slipping. To me it feels like it has a locked dif but the rest of the car was completely stock when I got it so I doubt any sort of locking/welding went on. The tires are brand new and matching so tire size isn't the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

4WD does not have a center differential, AWD does. When you take a turn the front wheels travel further than the rear wheels. Without a center differential, the tires have "scrub off' the difference. That's why 4WD is not used for "normal" dry roadway driving conditions, it should be engaged ONLY when it is needed, and only for as long as it is needed.

What the dude said. 4WD is for offroad and limited-traction conditions, as opposed to AWD, in which a center differential allows different speeds between the front and rear wheels.

You can find a lot of answers to your questions in the Older Generation of Subarus forum on this board, which applies to Loyales through 1994.