Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking into getting a used Soob...

I have about $6k to play with.

I want a vehicle that I can use to transport 2 Kayaks with, wasn't certain if that meant that the Legacy/Outback would not work, and if I should be sniffing out a forrester instead. I'd like to get 26+ MPG highway milage, if possible. consumer reports lists the Legacy at 29, Forester at 26, so it looks like I'm in the right place?

I did a few searches, seems that the Late 90's Foresters have head gasket issues?

any opinions would be appreciated, I'll continue to use the search feature to get more 411.

Another member had an idea a while back to someone in your similar situation.

They suggested to find a subee that had been afflicted by the head gasket issue and pick it up on the cheap. A new engine will be under 2k USD I hear? Figure maybe tires, fluids, etc. For your budget, you may get a 90k mile car with a newly rebuilt engine and a fresh warranty.

Of course, I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to find an intact subee with this condition.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

I agree with your strategy. Buy a decent car, but with a known problem at a good price.

I just bought 2 - 96 subaru outbacks with know HG issues. One was for $600 and the other $725. Fixed em both with the complete engine overhaul gasket kit from 1st subaru and replaced all the other obvious stuff when the engines are out and back on the road they go.

I thought about putting in a 2.2 while they were out, but both 2.5's were running so good it made no sense to me.

Don't be afraid of the HG thing, just budget for it to be safe when buying one.

96-99 2.5's in Forester and OB's are prone to HG failure.

Not any worse than the 90's Dodge Minivan auto transmissions for sure.

My 2 cents.

BTW.....The above 2 failed at 152,000 and 164,000.

:banana:

I'm having a hell of a time locating an online resource letting me know how much weight a particular make/model/Year I can put on a rack.

2 Kayaks weigh aprox 130 pounds together. I see some posts stating 100 pounds on the factory rack, and others with 150, and some that say to just ignore the entire thing!

I'm mechanically average. I can do a brake job, change the oil, swap out clutch cylinders. Rebuilding an engine is beyond my skillset, and toolset.

It sounds like I should get a 2.2L engine, they are more mechanically sound.

Thanks all for the responses. I'll continue to read up on things in the next few weeks!

2 Kayaks weigh aprox 130 pounds together.quote]

+ the weight of the crossbars, tiedowns, etc..

With that much weight going vertical on your roof, I would suggest that wheel base width also be a bigger factor in your purchase.