Ultimate Subaru Message Board

steering wheel swap

Has anyone had any experience swapping a steering wheel? I am looking for an alternative to the MOMO way to replace the peculiar school bus sized steering wheel in my GL.

1. I assume a steering wheel from a GL-10 would bolt right on (although would the airbag work?)

Any thoughts?

:confused:

Airbag? No GL-10 that I've ever seen came with airbags.

As for wheels - Any EA82 will fit. EJ cars are different (or is is just that the MOMO adaptor is different?), as are Justy's and EA81's (same)... I think Grant makes a hub adaptor (they do for EA81 anyway), and they sell some nice inexpensive wheels. MOMO has discontinued their adaptor.

GD

Has anyone had any experience swapping a steering wheel? I am looking for an alternative to the MOMO way to replace the peculiar school bus sized steering wheel in my GL.

1. I assume a steering wheel from a GL-10 would bolt right on (although would the airbag work?)

Any thoughts?

:confused:

GL-10s never came with an airbag. You can cut out the inner hub of a stock wheel, drill a few holes and tap them, and bolt on an aftermarket steering wheel if you like to.

GL-10s never came with an airbag. You can cut out the inner hub of a stock wheel, drill a few holes and tap them, and bolt on an aftermarket steering wheel if you like to.

You know I just assumed the GL10 steering wheel had an airbag from the photos (it had that airbaggy look). Ad far as aftermarket goes...I hate to sound so pedestrian, but I kinda like the way the GL10 wheel looks.

:-\

I put an 94 Mazda MX6 steering wheel on my 87 GL-10.

It is an airbag whel but I took out the inflator, and there is no Mazda emblem in edged into the wheel ither. It just says air bag. Its a three spoke and preferated leather.

Here is a pic, just click the link and then click enter.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106836952

I think it looks good and its not a whimpy stock wheel. I had to modify it a little to get it to work, but its been fine, only my cruise is not hooked up but I havent had the time to mess with it, and the only other thing is the turn signals don't shut off automaticly when you turn the wheel, but they rarely did that with the stock wheel.

Does the Justy share a wheel pattern with any other cars? I just bought a JDM Legacy momo wheel for the justy, and wondering if it will fit...

Airbag? No GL-10 that I've ever seen came with airbags.

As for wheels - Any EA82 will fit. EJ cars are different (or is is just that the MOMO adaptor is different?), as are Justy's and EA81's (same)... I think Grant makes a hub adaptor (they do for EA81 anyway), and they sell some nice inexpensive wheels. MOMO has discontinued their adaptor.

GD