Ultimate Subaru Message Board

touring bargin

today i bought a 1988 touring wagon..$300 electric glass etc the usual...

the woman told me she had a head problem water out the exhaust , but ran smoth as silk..and assured me the subaru dealer told her the heads would have to be repaired..i bought it for parts anyhow..

trailered it home..and started the usual..see if i can fix it process...

it did not want to hold water..she said it never cooked just droped the level in the reservoir more often than usual...now from experience how often do you women really check the coolant....???? once or twice a year????

anyways i took the intake off a little enough to get at the gaskets..and they wernt to bad but i sealed them with silicone..the bolts were not tight at all i even undid 1 with the socket and extension only..no rachet..

put it all back together all of about 20mins works..and whammo..it holds water..it does not bubble..and did not bubble before....the water level did not drop out of the cylinder head port beside the intake..i noted whilst doing the job...what do you think guys?...intake vacuum sucking the water in the intake port of the heads???

theres no water vapour out the pipe now..and no drop of coolant..i ran it for 45 mins idling and at 2000rpm many times...temp is usual 1 third....

maybe i had a win..any clues???

today i bought a 1988 touring wagon..$300 electric glass etc the usual...

the woman told me she had a head problem water out the exhaust , but ran smoth as silk..and assured me the subaru dealer told her the heads would have to be repaired..i bought it for parts anyhow..

trailered it home..and started the usual..see if i can fix it process...

it did not want to hold water..she said it never cooked just droped the level in the reservoir more often than usual...now from experience how often do you women really check the coolant....???? once or twice a year????

anyways i took the intake off a little enough to get at the gaskets..and they wernt to bad but i sealed them with silicone..the bolts were not tight at all i even undid 1 with the socket and extension only..no rachet..

put it all back together all of about 20mins works..and whammo..it holds water..it does not bubble..and did not bubble before....the water level did not drop out of the cylinder head port beside the intake..i noted whilst doing the job...what do you think guys?...intake vacuum sucking the water in the intake port of the heads???

theres no water vapour out the pipe now..and no drop of coolant..i ran it for 45 mins idling and at 2000rpm many times...temp is usual 1 third....

maybe i had a win..any clues???

sounds like you did. do a compression check on it. think these run 9.0:1 so 135-150psi would be a good indicator. if you see that on all 4 drive it till it dies!

...now from experience how often do you women really check the coolant....???? once or twice a year????...

Actually, i check mine about once a month....

but then again - i'm not the "average"! ;):D

also check my oil with every fillup, and check tire pressure regularly too...:cool:

I am a certifiable female gearhead!:D

I

am a certifiable female gearhead!:D

Good to here..my girl actually does it often too!! check the coolant that is....at least there are some chicky babe,s out there who like to know whats happnin under the hood..cheers