Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea 82t HELP

my ea82t rx overheated a while ago. upon removal of the engine i realized that i need a new timing belt idler pulley. this shredded the timing belt.and that over heated the engine. i replaced both belts and pulley and reinstalled the engine but it would not fire. the left side cam gear was wobling slightly so i assumed the worst, a broken cam. after pulling the engine a second time and checking the valve cover the cam is fine. Does anyone out there know these three things and any other advice would be appreciated. 1. where are the timing marks on the covers. 2. how do i set the timing without the covers.(they melted off) 3. what is the firing order of the engine. thanks, jay

timing marks on the covers line up with the seam at the out cam cover. 12 oclock position. its the same on both sides.

Firing order is 1 3 2 4. at your disty #1 is the one closest to the brakebooster and rotation on the disty from there is counter clockwise for the firing order.

1. There is a little notch cut into the lip of the inner cover about 0 degrees.

2. okay, with the flywheel pointer lined up with the middle of the 3 CAM timing marks. Set one of the make on one of the cam gears at 0 degress and set the mark on the other gear at 180 degrees. But with out the inner cover marks to line up with, you may still be off a tooth or two.

3. 1, 3, 2, 4

How badly is the center inner cover melted?