Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 93 and a 98 Legacy. Both non turbos. It seems every summer, I seem to have cooling problems with both. Nothing really serious, but they both seem to get a little hotter than normal. Does anyone make something that fixes this? Mabey something that makes the fans come on sooner?

hmm....mine seems to be slightly hotter than what i used to see. i dunno if this is from breaking in the engine or higher ambient temps, but it only crept up a degree or two. anymore than that might spell P-R-O-B-L-E-M-S.....(its not so bad that the engine sporadically stalls when stopped at a light or something?)

double check you have no air in the cooling system, running slighty more water to antifreeze, and that your fans are working....

Have you flushed the cooling system recently? Subaru's over design their cooling system in my experience. I'm running a normally aspirated radiator setup on my turbo motor, and it's fine. However I put in a new radiator a couple years back.

So if you have a partially clogged radiator, that could cause poor cooling.

I found one of the fans on the 87 GL was wired backwards at the connector, so when I came on, it blew in to the radiator, instead of drawing air through it. On the freeway, it must have completely stopped air flow, because the car would read hotter then normal, and the A/C would stop working. Slow down or shut the air off and it would go back to normal.

I have not had that problem on my Legacy, but it might be worth looking at.

Rob

I was driving the 93 today and it is getting way hotter than it should. I found out though that my fans are not coming on at all. I checked the fuses and they aren't blown. I don't know if there is a sensor that has went bad. I wired them to a toggle switch and I will see if that fixes it. I pulled the stat on it this weekend and it still got hot. The water is circulating good and I have no leaks. I don't think I have an air pocket in it. I am thinking of getting a new radiator pretty soon, but I need to find out what the problem is. I was wondering if someone made something that made the fans come on sooner. I know there are a couple of companies tha make them for the LT1 GM cars.

When you've drained the coolant and bled the system of air, have you been opening the bleed screw on the passenger side of the radiator?

If not, you need to do this in order to get all the air out.

Test the fans by directly applying 12v to them, and make sure they work. If they work, you'll need to verify all the wiring back to the relays, and then to the ECU. You may need a new coolant temp sensor. They're about $20 from www.subarugenuineparts.com

Also, make sure the t-stat is a subaru OEM t-stat, aftermarket ones cause issues. Trust me on that one.

I know about the stat. You can get by with an aftermarket one if you drill a hole in the side where that little thing is. It has been bled. The fans were not coming on. The wiring is fine so I guess it needs that sensor. I have driven it the past couple of days with the fan hooked up to a toggle switch and it has been fine. Where is that sensor located?

Now, my 98 is overheating as well. I believe there is a leak and I will be investigating that tonight. One of the fans is coming on. Are both supposed to come on? I replaced the cap yesterday and pulled the stat completely out and it is still getting hot. It seems to be circulating good. I hope the pump is ok. I hate replacing those.

I would suggest removing radiator and washing out the dirt and bugs in the coils, be gentle and dont damage the fins.

I have a 93 and a 98 Legacy. Both non turbos. It seems every summer, I seem to have cooling problems with both. Nothing really serious, but they both seem to get a little hotter than normal. Does anyone make something that fixes this? Mabey something that makes the fans come on sooner?

how old is the water pump.? i had over heat problems in a 90 nissan pick up. over heat on extra hot days, ran fine all winter. finally replaced the pump (after the t-stat, cap, fan clutch). one of the fins on the impeller was caroded away, gone. no problems since.

first time i ever saw a pump go bad without leaking.

I would suggest removing radiator and washing out the dirt and bugs in the coils, be gentle and dont damage the fins.

Pump is fine. I have washed out the radiator. On a 98, are both fans supposed to come on at the same time?

I think one fan only comes on when the AC is running and temp gets high enough. The other comes on when the temp gets up high enough, AC or not.

Monte

On my 93, neither fan was coming on. One of the fans on it is larger than the other. I got that fixed. Both fans on the 98 are the same size. One was coming on and the other wasn't. I wired the 2nd one up direct and now the other isn't coming on. I haven't driven much since, but I believe that fixed it. It would make sense to me that they both should come on.

they dont always come on at the same time. i think the a/c running thing stated earlier is correct, but it shouldn't be too hard to hardwire them together and make them run at the same time, all the time. don't ask me how to do it, i hate electronics.....(i know it has to do with parallel, but beyond that....:confused: :confused: :confused: