Ultimate Subaru Message Board

glad to hear you got it and it looks good. put a ski resort bumper sticker on it and enjoy using it. i don't think you should have too many tailgate issues like andy does, the forester has a longer roof than an OBS

which model did you get, by the way?

glad to hear you got it and it looks good. put a ski resort bumper sticker on it and enjoy using it. i don't think you should have too many tailgate issues like andy does, the forester has a longer roof than an OBS

which model did you get, by the way?

oh yeah, quick note, IF you have hatch issues, put a little piece of sticky foam (one side sticky) on the back of the box... otherwise you'll end up with alot of scratches on your back window.. .which are hard to see through :rolleyes:

I don't think you'll have problems... because most people get things that fit their cars ;)

I recently purchased a soft carrier from Cabelas. It was the only one I could find that had an objective review - some off-road website had tried one out. We've taken two trips with it and it's been great - very sturdy, and I'm confident it would keep my stuff dry even in a squall. It was also quiet. It's pretty easy to setup and take off, and rolls up small enough to put in a cabinet in my garage when I'm not using it.

I got the 15 cubic foot model. The one "problem" is that it's huge. I had to take the factory rack off of my Legacy, and put my Thule rack on. I needed to have the bars about 43" apart. They have a 10 cubic foot model which is about a foot shorter - that still may not fit inside your factory rack, but it's worth taking a look.

Adam

I tried searching but didn't get far. I'm thinking of putting a cargo box on my 2000 Forester. Does anyone with a 98-02 have one, and what kind, and do you like it or not? I am thinking about the Sears XCargo Sport which holds 20 cubic feet partly because I can find one here in town.

Bobbie

I got the Frontier. It fits great and does look good. I'm using it this weekend, then I'll leave it on until I get up to Washington, and probably at that point take it off until I leave in August to come back to California. I appreciate the suggestion for the side-opening Frontier- I didn't know they came like that and it will make loading so much easier.

Bobbie

Car is at the shop at the moment but I'll post a pic when I get it back.

I've been away all weekend and haven't been able to chime in, but it occurred to me that Thule also makes one called the Cascade 1100 that would have worked. In any case, glad you finally got it all squared away.

When i said it was longer than my car, i ment the roof part. When it's forward, all the way, i still can't open my hatch... when i had the factory racks, it fit fine, but the front end hung WAY over the windshield, and it bounced alot (when the front was loaded). Now w/ 3 bars i don't really need to worry about it (Thule Evolution 1800) ;)

Okay, you have the bigger box. I was assuming that you were having problems with the Frontier 1100.

We used a long narrow Yakima box for years on a Toyota Tercel wagon -- filled half the width of the roof exactly, leaving plenty of space for tools, hang gliders, or other gear. It stuck out about a foot over the passenger side front window, fine extra sunshade. Opened wide from the side (stick a LED light to the inside roof, you'll need illumination sometimes).

When I went camping by myself, I usually rolled in somewhere late, pulled out gear and tossed it in the wagon, put the camping pad and sleeping bag in the pod and slept there quite comfortably. It's just above the altitude mosquitos fly hereabouts.

It's possible to pee off the side without getting up or getting the car wet, too.

It got stolen along with the car a few years ago, sadly. If anyone sees an old style Yakima "Rocket Box" -- boxy back end, narrows like a wedge to the front -- that has circles of gray-green lichen growing on it, especially a big round patch on the back side -- that's mine.

I'd put another on a Forester for sure, looking at one now.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great, Bobbie.

I think you'll be very happy with it. With all those pups, find that it's very usable, lockable, waterproof storage.

Don't know how it really affects mileage. On our last road trip, we got over 28 m/gal (1080 miles/38.149gal.) with the box and car fully loaded with gear and our two 70-lb. labs. Coincidentally, it was the best milelage we'd ever gotten with our 99 forester -- perhaps had something to do with new gas formulation as MTBE was fully phased out.

Have fun on the road!

Yeah, i've actually gotten the best milage out of my OBS w/ the box on it... wierd...

i found that mine isn't 100% waterproof more like 98.6%... when we had rediculous rain here, some actually leaked in through the rivits!! :eek:

but that was also like.. 10 days of severe rain... and my box has had some serious abuse... I'm just going to put some silicon on them when i get a chance.. should fix the problem.