Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No idle when hot

My 90 1.8 w/turbo starts good cold and runs on fast idle til it drops off to regular idle and dies, it starts and runs above idle but the Turbo light doesn't come on when on a hard pull, now. When warm she no idle! Any ideas are wecome Thanks

the Turbo light doesn't come on when on a hard pull, now.

You have a vacuum leak. Check over on the passengar side strut tower. You should find two (or one maybe in your model) pressure switches hooked up to a vacuum line running to the intake mani. One of those switches is responsible for the turbo light. The line problem came unplugged. Its happened to me before.

Hook it back up, and marvel at the turbo light and the ability to idle.

You have a vacuum leak. Check over on the passengar side strut tower. You should find two (or one maybe in your model) pressure switches hooked up to a vacuum line running to the intake mani. One of those switches is responsible for the turbo light. The line problem came unplugged. Its happened to me before.

Hook it back up, and marvel at the turbo light and the ability to idle.

Good advice! Found hose and found where to plug him in and got Turbo light,BUT she still no idle when warmed up. Must be the ECT, but where is it and what does it look like? Chilton's manual doesn't show anything like what is on top of this thermostat housing, It says to remove with suitable wrench and coat threads before installing. This I'm looking at has 4 phillips screws is square and on ohms check shows direct short at 100+º. Whatdoyouthink?

Four screws and square? Where is this located? The first thing that popped into my head is the MAF sensor located in the intake ducting (I assume this is standard since it's MPFI).

-Aaron

No, this THING is sitting on and is part of the thermostat housing. There is 2 numbers on it (1) 14467AA001 (2)A32-000 974

"JECS" Made in Japan.

The radiator hose is attached to the housing. I took some digital photos but don't know how to post them.

The device sitting on top of the thermo housing has a hose that leads back to the nitake plenum. This device is called the AAV (Auxilary Air Valve) and is what supplied air into the intake when the throttle body is closed. This is in essence, what controls the idle speed.

The device sitting on top of the thermo housing has a hose that leads back to the nitake plenum. This device is called the AAV (Auxilary Air Valve) and is what supplied air into the intake when the throttle body is closed. This is in essence, what controls the idle speed.

OK thanks. Replaced the ECS (engine coolant sensor) and the blame thing still don't idle when warm. Runs great cold, till it drops to low idle and dies. I didn't replace the AAV, In Chiltons there isn't a picture of it, or how to test it, so don't know if it is OK or not. Or even if it might control the warm idle.Thanks for your help!

OK thanks. Replaced the ECS (engine coolant sensor) and the blame thing still don't idle when warm. Runs great cold, till it drops to low idle and dies. I didn't replace the AAV, In Chiltons there isn't a picture of it, or how to test it, so don't know if it is OK or not. Or even if it might control the warm idle.Thanks for your help!

Most likely you have another vacuum leak.

Since you have fast cold idle which decreases w/run time,the AAV is fine.

Warm idle speed is controlled by the brass idle speed screw on top of the throttle body.You might try adjusting it.

TPS/idle switch is worth checking too.