Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No Ground?

Ok...this i don't get...i got all of my car audio equipment together and tryed to hook it up in my 88gl wagon the new radio works but thats not the problem...the problem is i hooked up my amp to a bandpass box and the amp keeps on coming on and back off..now here's the funny part....i changed where i was grounding it from whitch was the driver side metal piece directy to the battery and got it working for a few minutes then it was turning of and coming back off again......any ideas?

I would say your amp is "motor boating" (floating ground) but if you ran a lead directly from the battery for both the postive and the ground and the remote turn on and it STILL is doing it try hooking the amp up with out the speakers. IF it works (power comes on) fine you may have a bad speaker which is grounding out causeing a short. On the other hand if you hook it up directly to the battery and it does it with no spearks (no load) on it you have a bad amp.

Or you may have a load that is to small for the amp..Ie speakers are wired in a "bridged mode" ..

Just a thought.:rolleyes:

I had the same exact problem in my 88 RX when I was running an amp and some subs w/ a blaupunkt deck.. cutting out.. like it was over heating or something... I installed it all in the honda wagon and it works like a champ never distorts or cuts out or anything. I am 99.99% sure it is the "remote" wire. Instead of trying to wire it to whatever.. try wiring your "remote" into the wire that runs 12vdc to the stereo when the key is turned on. (not the hot wire that is always on! you don't want your amp on if your car is off) I think it's the Yellow one? or maybe Red? if you have a multimeter you can test to see which one is the hot and which one is the ign. Hope this helps.

check the heat of the amp when its shutting off. amps are pretty straight forward when it comes to hook up. power wire with a fuse (no more then 16" from battery), ground , remote turn on (use your switched on), and your audio input RCA's.

if your just running subs, the cutting out may have something to do with how the subs are wired... series, parrallel, bridged, etc.. how is yours run?

also is the amp new? used? are you sure the amp isnt toast?

rllywgn

i've had a problem like this on an amp actually try checking you rca plugins on your amp they may require soldering if they are loose, because of the loose connection on the rca's the amp wont function. try wiggling them and if it cuts on and off thats your problem. i have to pull the one outta my soob to fix the connections pretty soon :-\

You dont have it mounted to the body do you. It can also ground through the chassy of the amp.

You can always hook up a rely to the remote out of the head unit or the acc wire if it is a bad remote.

But it sounds like a bad amp. Whish I was there I could trouble shoot it for you.

most amps have plastic or rubber feat.. if they dont the amp doesnt ground against the case. sounds like your amp is going into protection mode.. what make and model is it? how are the speaker wires run?

rllywgn