Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interesting discussion. I was driving across country last year and my low fuel level light seemed to stop working - I had gone about 400 miles and the fuel gauge needle was below "e" but still no light. My nerve finally ran out and I exited to a gas station, just in time - the car coughed and shuddered, then kept running, about a block before the gas station, which thankfully was open, even though it was a Sunday.

A month or so later, I actually did run out of gas coming back to Laramie from Denver. Fortunately, I was literally just outside my parking lot when it died, so I parked the car, grabbed a gas can, rode down to the gas station on my motorcycle, and rode back to put the gas in.

In neither of the above cases did my low-fuel warning light come on, so naturally I assumed the light was inoperative.

Then, about 3 months later, while driving, I let the gas get down close to "E", and presto! The low fuel warning light came on!

At this point, I very rarely let the gas get down low, but I don't count on the fuel warning light, I count on the gas gauge and the trip odometer.

As for my intermittently working warning light, I don't know what's going on with that.

The R22 connector is under the rear seat on the passenger side. That scan is for the 90-94 legacies.

As I mentioned, the low fuel light is triggered by a separate device on the older cars. It doesn't sound like that's the case for the newer cars....so the test procedure I posted probably won't work.

Here's a pic of the fuel pump assembly

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/ej22t/28/DCP_5290.JPG

The thermister is the round silver looking thing attached to the bracket where the sender is located.

Some additional pics

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/ej22t/28/

so i went home and quess what i did...

i ran outa gas at an amazing 448 miles??? not so bad with a mix of city and mostly highway.. averages to about 29ish mpg which is really good in my opinion.

finally saw the low fuel light thanks to the instructions by josh. just grounded the connector peice and the yellow box began to glow.

side note. the needle kinda stopped under the line of E for quite a while and was there a while before the light turned on. makes the entire guage seem very conservative in my opinion.