Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want AWD!

If you are lifting it, dont bother with turbo trannys. You want a Dual Range 3.9 ratio 5 speed. Then if you want LSD for the rear convert over a 3.9 rear end to LSD

The 4 lo in Non-turbo cars is a LOT lower gearing than a turbo. And the center diff lock/AWD that comes with turbo tranny? why would you want it when you could have controllable 2wd 4hi and 4lo from a D/R Non-turbo

There is an EA82T which is availible to me for cheap, so the AWD turbo tranny will suit me great...I only paid $100 for this car and have no intention of dumping big money into it. Just whatever I can score here and there, be it the boneyard or the net; and I'll do all the work myself to save even more.

Another perk of the AWD tranny for me is the simplicity factor...I'm just not interested in any extra shifting.;)

Maybe if you posted a picture we could see if it's your rear that is low, or your front that is high...?

OK here is the side profile of my '93. Sorry that the car isn't on flat concrete but I guess it is fairly level. On a truly level surface there seems to be a more pronounced gap between the top of the front tire and the edge of the fender than on the rear. There is nothing in the trunk whatsoever. Does that seem normal?

post-19453-136027608385_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Unless you are in deep snow, AWD is a better bet than 4WD for a car that spends most of its time on the road. At low speed especially, the 4WD will make you spin out. I have had them both, and I find the AWD to be the better bet for a street vehicle.

Rob.

I do. How far is Chesterfield from where you are?

Oh, and about how big is it? Thanks Frank.

Looks like three hours http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newaddr=&taddr=662+riverbend+dr&csz=Chesterfield%2C+va&country=us&tcsz=Luray%2C+va&tcountry=us

I don't need it gone today, but I have it in the back of a 96 rodeo I'm parting out and it will have to go away soon. It will fit in your trunk so bring an old blanket.

Looks like three hours http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newaddr=&taddr=662+riverbend+dr&csz=Chesterfield%2C+va&country=us&tcsz=Luray%2C+va&tcountry=us

I don't need it gone today, but I have it in the back of a 96 rodeo I'm parting out and it will have to go away soon. It will fit in your trunk so bring an old blanket.

New PM sent.;)

• 2 weeks later...

At this time I'd like to thank Frank B. for being true to his word and hooking me up with a free AWD tranny, along with some other goodies. I took a 6 hour (round trip) drive last Saturday to scenic Luray, Virginia and visited Frank at his place in the mountains. He gave me the tranny plus the cross-brace, an MPFI intake manifold, part of the air filter housing, two MPFI heads (minus cams & valves), an EA82T turbo downpipe, an extra starter, a water pump and a pulley. I'll post pics later.;)

To Frank B.: Thanks bud! I really appreciate it.:headbang:

i have to say its great to see people on this site helping other people like that.

i also have to say i wish i didnt live all the way down in the tip of florida.. there is approximately about 15% of the real estate within a 350 mile radius of me, as there is most anyone else on this forum, i think.. i mean seriously.. 350 miles north is just to jacksonville.. ive got about 120 miles west before the gulf, and about five east before the atlantic, and about eighty south until you drive off the peninsula and into the straits of florida/the gulf stream....

but alas, i can cope.

• 4 weeks later...