Ultimate Subaru Message Board

you should only need a 20 degree drop anyways. as much as i like my car feeling like a refridgerator, i dont need 40 degree interior temps in 80 degree weather. but the way it works is it cools the air going in the system, so twenty degree drop across the board looks pretty reasonable and makes sense.

if you want to keep the cabin cooler: tint windows, avoid direct sun, etc.

The temperatures at the outlet grilles (as in the original question) and in the interior are two different things.

I think that's what everyone was trying to say, the air temp. at the A/C vent should be 15-20*F less than the ambient temp. inside the vehicle assuming it's on recycle mode. But only up to a point of course.

Did this just today. 16 year old Nissan 300ZX toy was blowing hot air. Two recharge cans later, and with a thermometer in the centre vent, the reading was 61 degrees F, outside was 92 degrees F. Seemed just about ideal to me, considering how hot and sticky it was here in Southern Ontario. Put the toy away and got in the 02 OBW and (both cars are heavily tinted) couldn't help but notice that the OBW AC was blowing much colder than the 90 ZX, at least by another 10 - 15 degrees colder. That would put its output at about 45 degrees F from the vents, again in 90 degree weather. I suspect that my ZX needs to be updated to the newer legal refrigerants to get it any colder.

give us a break with symantics. we is not good ritters hear.....
If the outlet temperature is 20F below ambient, it may not be enough to be comfortable, even according to your own standard.

Add: see the post right after yours to see what the outlet temperatures should be, 30-40 below ambient is about right.

Thanks for all your advice.

On both my cars I can only get, at the vent with full blower speed, 20F below the outside air temp, that is 40 if outside is 60 and 60 if outside is 80.

What do you mean by 'recycled' - do you mean with 'interior car' button pushed in?

Gil

another thought, moving more air across the cooling element will not necessarily decrease the temp. it will produce colder air if the fan is moving slower, more time to cool the air; it will cool the car faster if the fan is moving faster. you will have a colder vent if the fan is on low, less air it has to cool.

Thanks for all your advice.

On both my cars I can only get, at the vent with full blower speed, 20F below the outside air temp, that is 40 if outside is 60 and 60 if outside is 80.

What do you mean by 'recycled' - do you mean with 'interior car' button pushed in?

Gil