Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 gl-10 drv.side cv axel 23 or 25 spline ?

howdy guys i got a stupid question,my drv.side axel is starting to click,the question is what is the spline count o my 88' gl-10 turbowagon,the parts websites list both,but dont say for sure,and also how long will the present one last,i only drive the car 3 days a week and put around 150 on it in that time,i had a 90' prism that had 2 bad axel's and i milked it for believe it or not for 15k miles.so any help would be great,thanx.

You can milk 150K miles out of it if you have a part-time 4WD trans-just shove it into 4WD after the axles break. Instant RWD. (Though this is not recommended.)

All turbos and XT6es use the 25 spline, N/A engines, the 23, like Jerry said.

You can milk 150K miles out of it if you have a part-time 4WD trans-just shove it into 4WD after the axles break. Instant RWD. (Though this is not recommended.)

All turbos and XT6es use the 25 spline, N/A engines, the 23, like Jerry said.

While that is possible, I've had them actually rip out of the DOJ and start flopping around down there. Beleive me - this is bad. If you turn at full lock with it broken like that the chances are good it will rip the axle shaft out of one of the joints.

GD

thanx for the fast replies guys,25 spline good to know,and sorry i forgot to say its FWD not AWD,right this moment im

installing a blaupunkt cd player and speakers from crutchfield,they actually told me the blaupunkt pcbx652 speakers wouldnt fit the front door,they would fit the rear but not the front,man they slide in like butter,perfect fit,you know with all the research they say they do,you'd think they would know if they really did fit lol.

If it's FWD then don't risk it, change it now. Crutchfield is pretty good but ours is not a highly profitable car for them. I'm sure if it was a Honda Civic speaker set you were after they'd be able to set you up fifteen different ways...but they do fairly well for even the more obscure models.

thanx,it only does it when im in a right hand curve,it hasnt started during a right turn yet,i actaully usaully wait until it starts doing it all the time before i replace one.as far as crutchfield i do love them,the prices were awesome,but atleast 3 techs told me the speakers would not fit,oh well they fit great.lol

ok so I also have an 88 wagon and I think I am starting to have the same problem. When you say its starting to click do you mean you get a knocking/clicking sound when you turn the wheel? I seem to get a knocking noise when I make a really sharp turn in either direction, but not all the time either, sometimes it doesnt seem to make the noise for a while, but then will come back with a vengance all of a sudden. What does the knocking noise mean? am I in imediate danger of axel failure? not really having the tools/knowledge to fix something like this how much would it cost me at a mechanic? alright, thanks for any respone.

ok so I also have an 88 wagon and I think I am starting to have the same problem. When you say its starting to click do you mean you get a knocking/clicking sound when you turn the wheel? I seem to get a knocking noise when I make a really sharp turn in either direction, but not all the time either, sometimes it doesnt seem to make the noise for a while, but then will come back with a vengance all of a sudden. What does the knocking noise mean? am I in imediate danger of axel failure? not really having the tools/knowledge to fix something like this how much would it cost me at a mechanic? alright, thanks for any respone.

Look at the axle nut first. It may be loose. Very common with the EA82's I've noticed. Jack up the car on that side - if there is ANY play in the wheel likely the axle nut is loose. I just tightened one on my Sedan that worked loose. I've driven the car for 9,000 miles since I bought it and only now did it decide to come loose. I attribute the cone washer being worn to the looseness. Replaced the cone washer, and filed a bit on the hub to make sure the cone shaped mating surface was smooth. Then I jumped on the breaker bar several times. I'm crossing my fingers, but seriously I've tightened these guys before on previous EA82's only to have them come loose again on me and a few K miles. Replacing the hub AND cone washer may be the only real permanent fix for this issue. Fortunately I have a pile of cone washers and I am very aware of what the loose axle nut sounds like. I pretty much always catch them now before they are bad enough to strip the splines out of the hub.

GD

Look at the axle nut first. It may be loose. Very common with the EA82's I've noticed. Jack up the car on that side - if there is ANY play in the wheel likely the axle nut is loose. I just tightened one on my Sedan that worked loose. I've driven the car for 9,000 miles since I bought it and only now did it decide to come loose. I attribute the cone washer being worn to the looseness. Replaced the cone washer, and filed a bit on the hub to make sure the cone shaped mating surface was smooth. Then I jumped on the breaker bar several times. I'm crossing my fingers, but seriously I've tightened these guys before on previous EA82's only to have them come loose again on me and a few K miles. Replacing the hub AND cone washer may be the only real permanent fix for this issue. Fortunately I have a pile of cone washers and I am very aware of what the loose axle nut sounds like. I pretty much always catch them now before they are bad enough to strip the splines out of the hub.

GD

yep,what he said,i had the same issue awhile back,the axel nut washer was on backwards and the axel would come just loose enough to cause the sounds your talking about.im gonna post some pics. of the blaupunkt install,yeehaa sounds sweet.

this is the new Blaupunkt CD/MP3 player i installed yesterday,it is the Bermuda series,i also have the XM radio,the speakers i was told,would not fit in the front,but as you can see,they fit like butter,i have an adapter coming from crutchfield for the XM,i also told crutchfield,they need to do more research on the older generation soobies,they apologized for the fixup,any whoo,the setup sounds excellent,no amp or sub,just raw power,this is the best just stereo and speakers without a amp and sub i have ever heard.enjoy

post-3176-136027608359_thumb.jpg

post-3176-136027608366_thumb.jpg

post-3176-13602760837_thumb.jpg

post-3176-136027608374_thumb.jpg

post-3176-136027608379_thumb.jpg