Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22t or n/a? in 79 brat!?!

Zefy

alright so i've been gathering parts for about half a year now...

i wanna use an ej22 with RX trans...(both of which i have and all the extra little bits i need)

HOWEVER! my friend says he is gonna be parting out his turbo legacy with the ej22t in it!

so i have a choice!!!!! stick with the n/a or move up to the ej22t? the ej22t is such a great engine... loads of potencial... however to save effort and confusion i'd keep it stock... well maybe a loud BOV to confuse peope... but thats it! (my plate would be to full if i started adding go-faster bits to it)

so what should i do? i love turbo cars... and i love doing things not many people have done before... however i don't know if this is TO much...

i would need to add to my list of tasks to do the turbo? the exhaust, crossmember, aaaaand....?

everything else like wiring and adaptor plates and such i would already have to do with the n/a...

to turbo or not to turbo... what do you think!?

are you gonna be wheeling this thing...? if it were me, you can always add more power. if you swap the N/A EJ22 pistons into the Ej22T block you will keep the N/A CR. if you dont like that, you can always throw the EJ22T piston in and start a turbo project. Or, you could throw EJ25 heads on your EJ22T block(with N/A EJ22 pistons) and turbo that...lots of options for ya. or you could throw in the turbo motor to begin with and start there. but it may cause some handling concerns with a car that old and not meant for that much power. bigger brakes would be a must, but for that you need to convert to 5-lug..... for straight line E/T stuff it would be nice. i dont know, do what you want, im with ya anyway.

~Josh~

go turbo, the EJ22T is a closed deck motor, so you can push alot more power through it. its the block crawford performance bases their R series motors on. and stock it'll put out 160 and about 180ish without too much trouble. throw on some V4 WRX heads, and AEM and you have the 22B motor, 280hp. the ej22t is probibly the best motor subie made, sooo much potential.

best block, crank and rods... the heads and pistons suck for big power.

for a mild, low end to midrange motor they are teh ************.

intercooler, fuel cut defender(homemade for a few bucks), mbc, 3" wrx downpipe and whatever custom exhaust for the brat, coffee mug mod, 14psi or so, and that will be one FAST brat.

the ej22t is sounding SO good right now...

i have read many threads on nasioc and such about all the forged bits and the block... what does closed deck mean anywho?:rolleyes:

i also heard that this ej22t is different than the one in the 22b... these blocks have oil squirters for the pistons... the 22b doesn't...

if i were to put in the turbo motor i won't be putting on any aftermarket bits or internal... not at the begining at least... make it work first... then start messing with it...(even more):D

i will be cleaning the motor and such before it goes in... and i don't think the RX trans will be reliable if i push to much HP through it... (this car is my daily and will be after the convertion!)

i'm still trying to get in touch with garner since he has done the 5-lug conversion on his brat...

if anybody talks to him on a regular basis who's reading this give him a shout for me...:)

my original plan was to use this car as my daily all round car... i do go off-roading every once and a while... but nothing to nuts... (nothing harder than the terrain at wcss7)

i've been getting more and more into rally... i want a quick car that can handle well on the dirt... (still working on converting to coilovers in the rear)

i also want it to handle nicely on road... it doesn't have to be all that confortable really...

and with the 5lug i can put on pretty much any suspension on the front i want...

the only mod i'd consider doing quickly on the engine is an intercooler and possibly a BOV so i get the PSHHHH...:D

oh so in a closed deck block the coolant passages are smaller making the block stronger... sweet, so simple...:cool:

there was a rally car at PFR05 that made a fluttering noise when he let off the gas... that was super cool... i have a vid of it if anybody wants to see... don't know how to post vids...:rolleyes:

what kinda recirc system would that be? i know its a recirc system...

i'm getting ahead of myself...

what other things will have to be changed to use the turbo motor?

First off, DO IT!

It's really funny to see the look on peoples faces when you pass them uphill in a rusty brat.

B/C yer going into a '79 there are a lot of little things that will hold you up.

How ya gonna do up yer axles, RX trans has two more splines (25 spline) on the stub shafts, (can't remember if you can swap the inner cups from an ea82 turbo car axle on to your gen 1 axles, but that could be a solution)

Turbo or not turbo, I love turbo, but it drinks premium fuel, adds complex exhaust work, funky cooling(your gonna need some crazy radiator hoses). with the turbo you probably would want to re-locate the fuel lines so they arn't right next to a glowing hot turbo. Me thinks the car would be scary fast, with the 22n/a and a 3.90 D/R my brat goes plenty fast, over 100mph and everything just gets flighty.

suspension, you are adding a huge amount of weight up front... think helper shocks, If you went turbo you would really want to improve the handling.

The xt6 five lug setup would be nice, but there would be plenty to fab, front axles would definitly be homebrew (different hub style). Create rear strut towers...

relocate battery, or re-locate the MAF,my battery's on the drivers side, garners is behind the cab underneath

Massage, or downright french the frame rails,

Transmission mounts

driveline

again, its a killer setup, but I'm pretty shy on the turbo part.

party on.

Not sure about that car, but WRC cars don't have any kind of BOV, the sound you hear is actually turbo surge, the turbo actually reverses itself sometimes IIRC. its fine if you plan to rebuild the turbo after every rally, but not goot for a normal car. really the whole BOV sound thing is for show. if you have a properly engineered and tuned BOV or recirc. you won't hear it. if you hear it it is too restrictive and won't vent fast enough. reminds me of the fake "BOV" things people were putting on N/A cars, just to get the sound...lame(the fake ones at least).