Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 gl Wagon w/turbo 4wd Clutch adjust?

Well I can hope that the cable is just too tight. There isn't any play in the pedal at all. I will be changing the driver side front cv shaft on Monday... the characteristics of a cv cutting lose and a clutch slipping aren't quite the same of course.

Question.... In 2 wheel drive does this car tend to mostly use the driver side wheel? And If I lose the driver side cv shaft... even with a new one on the other side... will it take out the entire front drive train?

Well I can hope that the cable is just too tight. There isn't any play in the pedal at all. I will be changing the driver side front cv shaft on Monday... the characteristics of a cv cutting lose and a clutch slipping aren't quite the same of course.

Question.... In 2 wheel drive does this car tend to mostly use the driver side wheel? And If I lose the driver side cv shaft... even with a new one on the other side... will it take out the entire front drive train?

The front (and rear) has an open differential. In ideal situations, both sides get the same amount of power. However, if one side starts slipping, all your power will start to go that wheel.

So, if you lost a CV shaft on one side, regardless which side, you lose all power.

Thanks for your comments.

This car is a lot of trouble but if Im lucky loosing the cable will fix this. I guess i suspected that the cable was tight but it wasnt an issue until it seemed it might be slipping. There is literaly no play at the top of the pedal.... I know this isnt normal for most cars ive driven and I even unwittingly changed a clutch in a datsun for just this reason.... and when I got the clutch out.... it wasnt so bad.

This car has me so extremely stressed that its making me feel unwell. I dont have money for another car and the market being what it is now... I could spend 500$ for a used car and get the same issues that I am dealing with or have dealt with in the past with this car.

But it shouldnt be too hard to find where the cable goes into the trannie and then I see how to adjust it... but in the meanwhile i gotta take it slowly.

Robert

I know this is going to sound really odd but I think saying it will help me center my thoughts.

I have had this car for about 6 months and I got it from my brother. While he had it (about 3 years) it was fairly dependable.... But since I got it , it has left me broke down 5 or 6 times and even though I manage to patch it well enough to get it home... It scares the hell out of me and driving this car is a daily trip into terror and this conflicts with the fact that I really like the car.

I dont have the money to get another car but my brother is helping me with the parts and I do what I can.... He is a great help but he cant understand that I dont do well working on cars because I tend to lose my focus.... I have the knowlage and the skill... But even working on the car is scarey.... read some of my prior posts and you will see it.

My brother tends to get me the parts I need and then RUNS away at full speed.... I feel like I working on the Ghoust of Jason x or something.

This is truly an odd situation.... I dont sleep at night because just thinking about the car scares me... and no one.. not even my girlfriend has a clue about this.

As for centering your thoughts, I kind of think of it this way..... any car can and will break down on you, from $40K SUV'S too $150 Subaru's... it's man made and mechanical.

Take the breakdowns as blessings as your learning the in's and out's of the car. You have a choice, empower yourself to know these rigs enough that you can run it and fix it if you had too with-out your local mechanic or just don't bother. But make sure you have fun with these rigs and don't rush the repairs.

I know what you mean as others seem so much more mechanicaly inclined and make it look easy but that comes from time, mistakes and experience which builds confidence.

Noob with a wrench.

subaru's are really easy to work with and are a great learning horse, everything is built like LEGO and easy to reach

just take your time, don't stress it, replacing the headgaskets on my car took me 2 weeks the first time, and there is nothing wrong with that, everybody has to learn one way or another

and, if everything fails and you don't know where to go from, there is a very big forum, with loads of knowledge and friendly people ready to help you out ;)

This car is a lot of trouble but if Im lucky loosing the cable will fix this. I guess i suspected that the cable was tight but it wasnt an issue until it seemed it might be slipping. There is literaly no play at the top of the pedal....

yea, if the clutch engages at the very top (or bottom) of the throw, I'd lean towards adjusting the cable, and/or replacing the cable if it's stretched before worrying about replacing the clutch itself.

After adjusting the cable properly, if it still slips, it's probably time for a new clutch

my 0.02

dammit... if u didnt live on the other side of the country, id take that soob off ur hands:brow:

You have the same car eh?

I hope yours is in better shape then mine.... oh its nothing large amounts of money wont fix... hehe

For reasons im not really sure of im dead on my feet... really on my seat. I dont have the energy to make individual reply's to all the kind comments and im trying to burn dinner as I type. Thanks for your comments and yes I do really like the people on here and I like the soob even though its turning out to be a royal pita :)

I have to change the driverside cv shaft and balljoint in the am... This shouldnt bother me as the cv shaft isnt hard and the ball joint shouldnt be too stuck... i changed it a couple of years ago and then of course i got to play with the clutch cable.

Im not sure If i have lost the bearings I put on the drivers side less then a year ago.. or if the outter cv joint is just so bad it puts a major shudder in the wheel... I suspect this is the issue as it dosent feel like bad bearings but the wheel is oscilating a bit.

This soob is also gonna need an inner tie rod on the driver side... but it was nice of the subaru people to put the rack in front of the motor , makes it a lot easier.

Robert

I tryed to adjust the cable.... but i couldnt get the nut to spin.... Il try it again later.

I did get the new cv and balljoint in... The balljoint that I had put in about 2 years ago had near the same wear as the one on the otherside that had been there for years.

Im getting a low ticking sound that might be from the bearings on this side... and im not sure how critical the inner tie rod end is.... I pulled it and pushed it by hand and i couldnt find enough play to worry about... alignment.. yeah gonna need that I think.

I was getting a squeek from the outter cv boot... I think its gone now.

I busted my new breaker bar.... maybe i was just pushing too hard... I wish I had a pic of the way I rolled onto the road when it snapped. :eek:

All Adjusted.... well Im gonna drive it for a while and see if its a bit too loose.

All I had to do was put a vice grip on the end of the cable.. otherside of the nut and then a deep 12 spun that baby loose in seconds... I wish it was all this easy.... Oh and the noise i thought was comming from the wheel seems to have gone.. maybe i dodged that bullet :clap:

Thanks for the Help :)

Robert