Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*Help* Clicking noise when turning corners

New to the forum /waves

I just picked up a 1992 Loyale for $800 dollars (129,000 miles/MT)here in Oklahoma, and enjoying the "new" car! Searched google and was so glad to see a message board dedicated to the Subaru'ist, Lots of good reading.

Searched the forums for Clicking on the forums for some reading, the question

I have is:

When I am at a complete stop (1st gear), and I start to take off and make a turn, I hear a clicking/popping noise coming from the front of the car.. after the turn is complete, the sounds seems to go away .. Any info would be

appreciated!

Look for "CV joint" or "constant velocity joint" or "front axle" or "DOJ" or "dual offset joint" -- and look on the front axles for the big black rubber corrugated things (2 on each side); if one is split and leaking or lost its grease get it fixed. No expert here, just been trying to fix up my first old Subaru for the past year. One thing leads to another.

very common problem. they will last a long time like that, so no worries about failure. i've put 50,000 miles on front clicking cv joints. i say that so you know you got time to price around. replace the entire axle that's clicking, not just the boot that's busted. mechanic will charge roughly $150 per axle.

Look underneath your car and inspect the boots. If the boots are torn plan on replacing the axles. If they arent torn you can probably got till fall (dont wait till winter, this is something you should do on your schedual and not the cars).

If you start to feel the the click in the steering wheel or the brake pedal, your getting close to totaly failure and should replace them.

nipper

No clicking on the steering wheel or the brake pedal yet, Even though my brakes are squealing sometimes when I stop, But as far as I know, thats just new brake pads .. Will inspect the boots ASAP! Thanks for the post!