Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Estimate for a bumper repair job?

I'm looking at a used 2002 Subaru Legacy that had a minor rear end accident. Apparenlty, the rear bumper was pulled off. I have a photo.

The seller is telling me that this is $900 to fix, and I wanted some other opinions. I'll be test driving tomorrow.

I uploaded a photo of the piece that was pulled off.

Thank you for any input!

post-19345-136027616644_thumb.jpg

I dont exactly understand what the $900 is for....to put the bumper on? to repair and install it??

You could find a bumper on ebay, prolly in the same color if your patient. It should be fairly easy to put on - you could do it yourself with some simple tools.

If they are saying it is $900 use it to your advantage...talk them down.

Then fix yourself for at most $200 (new/used bumper), or just slap the old one on.

bumpers are weird. I had one damaged from a chain reaction while parked, it broke the grill too. the bumper had a scrtach

guess how much

go ahead

no higher

get a second opinion from a body shop to just hang the skin. it sounds like the are replacing it OR repainting it.

nipper

Apparently you can't simply re-attatch the bumper, you have to replace the entire panel. The part that is on the ground has since been discarded, apparently.

I'll try to make some calls to a few dealers, and see if they will hazard a guess.

$500-600rough estimate for pro paint assuming the bumper skin needs replacing. They might even charge more to refinish a damaged bumper (that may not be repairable for less than the cost of a new one).

I'd get a used one from a junkyard or if you must have a new one, then on-line would get you going. If you are tolerant of B-rated paint jobs, then consider shooting the pain yourself with rattle cans. But by the time all of this DIY blows over, you might find yourself closer to a pro job than you expected.:-\

That said, here is a write up on my bumper repaint using rattle cans ....total cost about $100 and 4 days (which includes kid interruptions - I guess fumes are not supposed to be that good for them?:brow: )