Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Annoying noise coming from dash

Love my 3 month old Forester LLBean but have had 'annoying noise' problems. One was fixed - rattling from clasp on glovebox. Second one can't be found. Seems to be coming from dashboard - more like a vibration - activates when driving over uneven/rough road. Otherwise can't be heard. Had car into dealer 3 times - fixed loose air conditioner wire, adjusted hood & the clasp on middle dashboard storage compartment but these weren't the source. I'm sure these types of noises are probably notorious to find but has anyone else had this problem? Hate to 'live with it' in a new car & would love to come armed with suggestions the 4th time in to the dealer. Thanks.

Just a long shot, but I recall a recent post where the person said that a dash rattle problem they had ended up being the edge of the dash at the base of the windshield. You might have a passenger reach their hand up into that area to test. Or wedge something up there if you are on your own.

Good luck.

Commuter

I have heard a few stories of "less than satisfied" mechanics purposely leaving tools or weird crap in some weird spot to make an annoying noise like that. Probably not what you have going on.. but you never know. Get a passenger.. go to a road you know it will make the noise.. and get your passenger to start trying to pinpoint the noise.. start pushing on things to see if it's loose stuff.. maybe bring a long screwdriver or something to use as a stethescope(sp?) .. or perhaps if you have a stethescope. Good luck pinning down your annoying noise.